The Uzbek Patches quilt top has been completed, I already have the backing fabric so just need to buy some batting and then I can start quilting. I'm not sure how I will quilt this, hand quilting will work best I think, maybe some Kantha style running stitch. I used a mixture of Kaffe Fassett shot cotton (solids and stripes), a Reece Scannel shot cotton, Kona and homespun cotton solids and some ikats which I found online.
The shot cottons have a lovely feel but are a bit challenging to sew with, mainly I think because they are a looser weave so they tend to stretch a bit, (and there is also some fraying) which makes seam matching a bit more difficult, they also don't take to reverse sewing either. The ikats are also loosely woven fabrics but as the border is an uneven one I wasn't concerned about matching seams.
the results of a quilty gathering last weekend
The picture above shows what happens when a group of quilters are let loose in a quilt shop. The South Australian members of a Facebook group that I belong to got together last Sunday for lunch, show and tell (I only took one photo) and chat (lots of it), we finished off the day with a side trip to The Mallee Tree. I was quite restrained and only acquired three pieces of fabric, as you can see others were not so restrained, all told it was another lovely day meeting up with the South Australian girls. I drove all by myself there and back, as I don't do a great deal of driving, it was quite an achievement for me, now I have to pluck up the courage to drive to guild meetings by myself.