I can cross Stringy off the To Do list now as I finished stitching the binding on late last night. I'm really pleased that I didn't buy any fabric for this quilt, the strings were all scraps and the backing and binding fabrics were from my stash, even the batting was scraps*, Stringy finished up at roughly 140 cm (55") square.
I really enjoyed making this quilt, mainly because I didn't really think about the end result I just stitched madly away. To get an idea of making a string quilt, I read through the String Quilting Primer at Bonnie Hunter's blog Quiltville. I used pages from an old phone book which I trimmed to a square, then marked a diagonal line across the square, I centred my first piece of fabric on the line (sometimes it wasn't centred too well) put another piece of fabric on top and started stitching happily away.
After I had made the first block, I started chain piecing about eight at a time, which was how I managed to finish the blocks so quickly, it was a really enjoyable process. Most of the time I just grabbed a piece of fabric that was the right length and added it, sometimes I would use another piece if the fabrics didn't have a reasonable contrast.
For the quilting I just marked a circle in the middle, then used my walking foot to stitch around it, then just kept on stitching in a big spiral until I thought it was big enough, then I started a circle on a corner. I came to grief after I had done a circle in each corner as the fabric was pushed into the gaps between the circles and there were a few folds happening. Next time I do a circle like this I will just continue on until I reach the edge of the quilt, I didn't worry about spacing the lines and just kept moving the quilt around as I stitched, very quick and easy.
* I used fusible tape to hold the strips of batting together, for me this was much more successful than stitching it together which is what I have done with the batting for the Soul Searching quilt, the batting in that quilt has a few ridges in it, which I hope will quilt out.