Yesterday’s sandwich making was successful, it didn’t take me very long at all, mainly I think because the batting was much thicker and clung to the fabric quite well. It also helped that I placed the backing, batting and quilt top between two pieces of wood and then clamped them together so I was able to tug on all the layers and get them nice and smooth.
Then I started the quilting, I tried doing a straight stitch for the sashing first but I was meandering all over the place and it didn’t look very good at all, so I reverted to my original plan of using a serpentine stitch, and I’m quite happy with how it looks even though it is probably not a traditional finish.
This afternoon saw me finishing off the quilting on the sashing and then I tried quilting a block. It was quite a bit of work moving the quilt around and my arms and shoulders are sure to feel it tomorrow. I have a whole lot of thread ends to tie off and hide in the quilt so that will give me a bit of a rest. I won’t be doing any FMQ on this quilt, it will just be straight stitching with the machine and then I intend to hand quilt as well, for instance the block below will have some hand quilting on the open areas.