Monday, 7 February 2011

Hard at it …

Six more rows completed over the weekend.  I’ve started checking each block before I start sewing now, that way I can fix any problems there and then.  Some of my earlier blocks weren’t very accurate and ended up being about 1/8” or so too large or too small.  Too large isn’t a problem, just trim it off, but too small makes it a bit more difficult to get an accurate 1/4'” seam.  I tried adding a strip of fabric but this made it too bulky, so I came up with the idea of using lightweight iron-on Vilene (interfacing) and ironed on a thin strip then trimmed the block to the correct size.  It has worked very well.


I’ve been cutting my sashing down the length of a piece of fabric, next time instead of trying to cut 1” wide strips of fabric, I would cut the strips about 1/2” wider, sew one side of the strip on to a row of blocks and then trim it back to the correct width.

There are 3 rows left to complete and then I can start on the triangles, so it is looking good for this part to be finished by the end of February.


  1. Excellent solutions and very fast progress, dear Pip. At this rate you will be pondering on quilting stitch patterns for your lovely "kind of blue" Dear Jane well before Autumn.

  2. Ahhhh, those darn 1/4" seams....I have always had a problem with that. I truly do love watching your progress. Your blocks are lovely and I really like the sashing. Awesome Pip!


Thank you for taking the time to comment, I'll try and reply in a timely manner, usually by email, if you are a no-reply commenter then I will reply directly to your comment which means you will have to come back to see it :)