A couple of wagon wheels would have been nice to have with my cup of tea after I finished making this block E11 (Wagon Wheel), it was quite a marathon effort so they would have gone down a treat.
Making this block I had a couple of false starts, I was originally going to make it following these instructions because I didn’t want to applique all the little melons, but as my reverse applique isn’t very good I deviated from the instructions by doing it this way.
I printed the block out on freezer paper, then marked the melons so I could tell which curve would face inwards to the centre of the block. I then carefully cut them out and ironed them on to the background fabric, I kept the rest of the freezer paper block for using later.
When I do my applique I usually have the freezer paper underneath and use it as a sort of a template, so I pressed the seam allowance under (using a wee bit of fabric glue to hold it down) then just placed them in position on the coloured fabric (again using fabric glue to hold them in place). I had marked out the shape in pencil previously and just used the freezer paper as a final check.
I stitched my melons down in this sequence, that way if any of them were a little out in their placing then I had a chance to correct a little when I stitched the next four down. You can just see the pencil lines which I marked for positioning purposes.
the melons all stitched down
I ironed the remaining piece of freezer paper to the coloured fabric (I used a 6” square) and cut it out with 1/4” seam allowances (turned under and glued down), I then lay it down over the melons (I removed the freezer paper from the melons first) making sure everything was aligned nicely, again I used a bit of fabric glue to hold it in position (you could use pins or baste with thread). For the corners I just glue basted a small square of background fabric and then stitched it in place. Once all the stitching was complete, I removed the freezer paper, trimmed all the excess fabric, then I squared the block up and trimmed it to size.
The reverse of the block after I have trimmed all the extra fabric off.