Thursday, 14 September 2017

Deviations



I made and finished this quilt earlier this year, I thought I had some progress photos but I can't find them, I suspect I deleted them once I had worked out how I wanted the quilt to look.  It started out as a way to use up larger fabric scraps, I wanted to make large blocks and I remembered that Bonnie Hunter's blog had a tutorial for Scrappy Trips around the World which made 12.5" blocks.

It didn't take me too long to cut the fabric strips and start stitching them together, then I played around with a few layouts until I found the one I liked and started stitching the blocks together. 

quilt backing in progress

The backing fabric was a bit of a no brainer, I was still trying to use up fabric scraps and had plenty left over and it seemed quite apt to make a giant block for the backing. This also meant I could use up the extra block I had made and make one square the quilt label.


The straight line quilting was done on my Bernina 750QE, I used various different colour threads so the quilting would blend in with the various fabrics.  The binding was made using a Kaffe Fassett Spots fabric in blue, the quilt is called Deviations on a World Trip.

12 comments:

  1. This is a lovely quilt, I like the blue/purple colour going through each block and I like the backing too. Did it reduce your large fabric scraps? Do you have heaps of smaller scraps now?!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ES, yes my large fabric scraps have been reduced, I ended up sewing together a couple of smaller pieces of the same fabric to make a larger piece which reduced the smaller scraps quite nicely.

      Delete
  2. The pink and blue is such a pretty combination Pip! You chose an interesting path for the design and its fun to follow it around and around!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great quilt Pip. I love your take on it. Nothing better than using up some of those scraps. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all the colours, very fresh and spring like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. fascinating quilt!! Did you plan your fabric placement for 12 inch blocks? So very interesting!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam, I planned the fabric placement when I laid out the strips - blue, light, strong pink, light,strong pink, light, some of the light fabrics were a pale pink that read as a light. There were a couple of blocks that had more lights than strong pinks as I was runnning out of strong pink by that stage.

      Delete
  6. Man! You are TOTALLY trippin'! Love it! What fun! aMAZEing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks QuiltGranma, this was a really fun quilt to make.

      Delete
  7. What a great layout Pip. I would never have thought to do it that way, yet it is so simple to do! Lovely Quilt!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I'll try and reply in a timely manner, usually by email, if you are a no-reply commenter then I will reply directly to your comment which means you will have to come back to see it :)