Friday, 3 February 2017

The M post ...

Why the M post, well M is the Roman numeral for 1,000 and as this is my 1000th blog post and I've finished putting the borders on my Museum Medallion quilt it seems a very appropriate title for the blog post.
 
looking a bit wavy hanging here  

It took me a little while to decide on the border fabric, my first choices didn't look right in daylight, and then I remembered this border fabric that I had stashed away.  It is from Carrie Bloomston's Collage range from Windham fabrics and I had bought 4 or 5 yards of it back in 2013, so I knew I had plenty for the borders (the longest side is 88"/224cm).  I had meant to time how long it took me to hand stitch a border on, but forgot to look at my watch when I had finished, I think it was about an hour per border as the tv programme I was watching had finished a bit before I finished the stitching.



Still using fabric from my stash, I've pieced together some voile for my quilt backing, it is quite lightweight and will make the quilting easier and reduce the weight a bit as well.  I've used voile before in my Uzbek Patches quilt and it was so lovely to hand quilt.

Now comes the part I dislike the most, making the quilt sandwich, I think I will leave it until Sunday when I will have a full day to tackle it, there will be a lot of thread basting to do on this quilt.

11 comments:

  1. Lots of time to thread baste and time in between to recover! Will you need to crawl around the floor? Congratulations on 1000 blogposts!! I'll never crack that number!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness - 1000 posts - what an achievement. Congratulations. Perfect border fabric too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking fab. Pip. How do you baste? Thats the part I dislike the most as well, cause when I make LARGE quilts its so hard to get the back taut.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Well done Pip, 1000 posts, what an achievement. Congrats. . That border looks great with the beautiful quilt, good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such lovely blog posts whilst I have been away.
    Congratulations on so many posts! A thousand lots of loveliness.
    The MM is quite gorgeous....and I do like those squircles thingies!
    I always make my own GF Muesli. ....need to cull my recipe books. some are positively hilarious to read, however!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! 1000 is a great number of posts to have in your "I did it" box!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1000 posts! wow
    Congrats on the finished top. I thread baste too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on 1,000 posts and what better way to celebrate than with a beautiful quilt finish! Hope you got the basting done (my least favourite part too)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on 1000 blog posts!! That's a lot!! I wouldn't know how many I've done. Your quilt top is beautiful. I hope the basting went well and you've starting quilting it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! So many posts! Congrats! Love the M quilt too :) xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I'll try and reply in a timely manner, usually by email, if you are a no-reply commenter then I will reply directly to your comment which means you will have to come back to see it :)