Finally finished trimming all the diamond blocks to the correct size, I didn't want to give myself RSI, so I just trimmed a few each day. Having a new rotary cutter blade ensured that all the cuts were nice and smooth and that I didn't need to apply extra pressure when cutting. It is so easy to forget about changing rotary cutter blades until we start getting ragged and incomplete cuts and then once the blade has been changed the difference is so noticeable, I always wonder why I didn't change the blade sooner.
My rotating cutting mat worked really well and made sure that I didn't contort my body unneccessarily while trimming the diamonds. Now I have to sew them all together, I had originally thought that I would be able to sew them in strips and I puzzled over it for ages as when I had originally thought to make the blocks I thought piecing in strips would work. Once I drew the pattern out on some graph paper I could see why it wasn't going to work, although it would probably work if the blade shape wasn't going to be a feature of the quilt and the blades were all different fabrics.
Now that the blocks are trimmed I will be able to start putting them together, I'm thinking that if I get my skates on I might be able to enter the quilt into our Festival of Quilts this year, although somehow I think it will require some Olympic calibre speed skating :)
and to finish off a photo of my boy Cody in what looks to be a pensive mood, although he is more likely thinking "get that camera out of my face"