Wednesday, 4 May 2016

Pile up

Finally finished trimming all the diamond blocks to the correct size, I didn't want to give myself RSI, so I just trimmed a few each day.  Having a new rotary cutter blade ensured that all the cuts were nice and smooth and that I didn't need to apply extra pressure when cutting.  It is so easy to forget about changing rotary cutter blades until we start getting ragged and incomplete cuts and then once the blade has been changed the difference is so noticeable, I always wonder why I didn't change the blade sooner.


My rotating cutting mat worked really well and made sure that I didn't contort my body unneccessarily while trimming the diamonds.  Now I have to sew them all together, I had originally thought that I would be able to sew them in strips and I puzzled over it for ages as when I had originally thought to make the blocks I thought piecing in strips would work.  Once I drew the pattern out on some graph paper I could see why it wasn't going to work, although it would probably work if the blade shape wasn't going to be a feature of the quilt and the blades were all different fabrics.


Now that the blocks are trimmed I will be able to start putting them together, I'm thinking that if I get my skates on I might be able to enter the quilt into our Festival of Quilts this year, although somehow I think it will require some Olympic calibre speed skating :)


and to finish off a photo of my boy Cody in what looks to be a pensive mood, although he is more likely thinking "get that camera out of my face"

7 comments:

  1. How funny! I was also thinking about changing my blade tonight at I did some HST trimming. One reason I didn't do it straightaway was I don't want to forget and attack the trimming with too much gusto! That's when I fear an accident may happen! So it's on the list for tomorrow! Your diamond (propellor) blocks look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cody is so handsome! Your blocks look impressive. Love you colour choices too. Look forward to seeing your quilt put together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blocks look fantastic Pip, and I am the same with the blades for my rotary cutters... I always think afterwards why I have taken so long to change it!! Cody is a cutie :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you join in the traditional way you will need some half hexies and single diamonds to complete. . It's going to be quite striking, especially when you add in some of your brilliant quilting

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look to have a good stack of blocks ready and waiting there and what a beautiful cat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cody is so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous Blocks Pip.
    You have a well rounded stash **sigh**

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I'll try and reply in a timely manner, usually by email, if you are a no-reply commenter then I will reply directly to your comment which means you will have to come back to see it :)