Thursday, 31 March 2016

Spiderweb

I had a bit of a break from quilting today and played around with some strip piecing that I started some time ago.  Back in 2012 I saw a spiderweb hexagon quilt on Barbara Brackman's blog and had the fleeting thought that I could use my Kaffe Fassett scraps to make one.  A few days later I saw this post on Sujata's blog and thought about it some more and ended up draughting a diamond shape and foundation piecing a few diamonds which didn't quite work out so I put them aside for another day.


Last year I bought a 60° diamond ruler and thought I might have another attempt at these diamonds but this time I thought instead of foundation piecing I would start with the fan blade piece, then strip piece fabrics either side, then use the 60° diamond ruler to trim the block.  The fan blade template was made by the clever husband of a quilting friend.  I used my original strip pieced diamonds for the experimental block and ended up with this:


I like how it turned out but think I need to pay a bit more attention to the colour choice that goes next to the fan blades otherwise it could end up being a bit of a mess.

3 comments:

  1. How interesting Pip. I have a UFO cobweb quilt somewhere! i would not have thought to put the diamonds together like this. I shall follow your links now for further inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marvellous way to use up your scraps, very effective indeed.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I'll try and reply in a timely manner, usually by email, if you are a no-reply commenter then I will reply directly to your comment which means you will have to come back to see it :)