Friday, 15 January 2016

The Quilter's Planner cover take 2

Back in September last year I read a post on Stephanie's blog Late Night Quilter  about a Day Planner called The Quilter's Planner  that she was planning to publish. It sounded ideal for me so I signed up for the pre-order campaign on Indiegogo (a crowdfunding website) and my planner arrived early in 2016 (we were advised at the outset that overseas orders would take a little longer to arrive and they could not guarantee arrival before years end)

Although the planner has a nice aqua cover it really needs a fabric cover to protect it from daily wear and tear so Stephanie and Amanda from What the Bobbin collaborated and modified the dimensions on Amanda's Zippy Notebook Cover tutorial so it would fit The Quilter's Planner.  This modified tutorial was made available to all purchasers of The Quilter's Planner.



When I arrived back from NZ, I was itching to do some sewing so rushed into making the cover above, I wasn't very happy with my effort as it is a bit saggy and loose, I like my journal covers to have a nice snug fit, so I decided to make another the next day.

For the second effort I changed the measurements so I could get the snug look I was after, I also used some of this interfacing on either side of the zipper and on the tops of the pockets inside the cover.  The reason I did this was because I wanted a bit of rigidity to these areas to prevent any sagging.


The one problem with making the cover snug was that the tabs are now exposed (photo below) and in time they may become worn, the dimensions of the original cover would prevent this, but as I am aware of this flaw in my cover, I will be careful with how I treat it.


 I used batiks from my stash for the second cover and the method (but not the dimensions) from  my tutorial for a quilted notebook cover, I followed the zipper instructions in Amanda's tutorial. My pockets were also done differently as I wanted less bulk in the seams, using batik lessened the bulk problem as well.

I had a lot of fun with the quilting of the cover, I originally planned to free motion quilt it but then decided to go with straight lines and couching.  The quilting and couching was all done on my Bernina 750QE, using the 1D foot which is a reverse pattern foot (I didn't know the name until I looked it up)


I used perle cotton, sashiko thread, leather thonging, ribbon, and some chenille thread for the couching, the stitch was zig zag (# 2) and the width and length adjusted as required, I also did a bit of straight stitching (#1) and triple stitch (#6)  which I thought was quite effective especially with the variegated thread.  The two threads used were Aurifil Make Ne40 and a variegated Wonderfil Rayon 40wt.


6 comments:

  1. Love all the different stitches! That does look like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVELY cover ... much more cheerful than the first version.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks gorgeous.
    Liked it on IG but the colours and detail are so much better on your blog. The textures are perfect with the batik.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What what fun playing with all those stitches!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A snug fit and interesting embellishments have resulted in lovely final version of the your cover Pip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is such an awesome planner cover!!! Do you use it? I'm a shocker, every year I buy a diary or planner but then I don't use it after the first week.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I'll try and reply in a timely manner, usually by email, if you are a no-reply commenter then I will reply directly to your comment which means you will have to come back to see it :)