Back in September last year I read a post on Stephanie's blog Late Night Quilter about a Day Planner called The Quilter's Planner that she was planning to publish. It sounded ideal for me so I signed up for the pre-order campaign on Indiegogo (a crowdfunding website) and my planner arrived early in 2016 (we were advised at the outset that overseas orders would take a little longer to arrive and they could not guarantee arrival before years end)
Although the planner has a nice aqua cover it really needs a fabric
cover to protect it from daily wear and tear so Stephanie and Amanda
from What the Bobbin collaborated and modified the dimensions on Amanda's Zippy Notebook Cover tutorial so it would fit The Quilter's Planner. This modified tutorial was made available to all purchasers of The Quilter's Planner.
When I arrived back from NZ, I was itching to do some sewing so rushed into making the cover above, I wasn't very happy with my effort as it is a bit saggy and loose, I like my journal covers to have a nice snug fit, so I decided to make another the next day.
For the second effort I changed the measurements so I could get the snug look I was after, I also used some of this interfacing on either side of the zipper and on the tops of the pockets inside the cover. The reason I did this was because I wanted a bit of rigidity to these areas to prevent any sagging.
The one problem with making the cover snug was that the tabs are now exposed (photo below) and in time they may become worn, the dimensions of the original cover would prevent this, but as I am aware of this flaw in my cover, I will be careful with how I treat it.
I used batiks from my stash for the second cover and the method (but not the dimensions) from my tutorial for a quilted notebook cover, I followed the zipper instructions in Amanda's tutorial. My pockets were also done differently as I wanted less bulk in the seams, using batik lessened the bulk problem as well.
1D foot which is a reverse pattern foot (I didn't know the name until I looked it up)
I used perle cotton, sashiko thread, leather thonging, ribbon, and some chenille thread for the couching, the stitch was zig zag (# 2) and the width and length adjusted as required, I also did a bit of straight stitching (#1) and triple stitch (#6) which I thought was quite effective especially with the variegated thread. The two threads used were Aurifil Make Ne40 and a variegated Wonderfil Rayon 40wt.