Tuesday, 1 December 2015

Deadlines

Earlier this year when I joined the Modern Quilt Guild  as an individual member, I noticed that there would be a fabric challenge for Quiltcon 2016, so I signed up for it.  A month or so later I received a registration email and a couple of months after that I received six fat eighths of Michael Miller Glitz fabric.  In the meantime I had managed to source additional fabric from the same range because well, six fat eighths isn't a lot of fabric,  I also purchased some Cotton Couture in black and bright white.

 The rules stated: quilts using a minimum of one of the 12 fabrics from the glitz collection in white, black, silver and/or gold. Additional coordinating Michael Miller solids are permitted. Michael Miller print fabrics may be used on the backing and binding.


I was good to go except I was already on another deadline for our own quilt show, but once that was over there would be three weeks to make and finish my entry.  I mulled over a few ideas while I was finishing off the quilting of my show quilts and settled on my plan which was to draw up a large circle (22"/56cm diameter), roughly sketch in some piecing lines and leave it all until after our quilt show was over.



The piecing itself didn't take long, I had thought I would use white Cotton Couture for the background but it looked wrong, black Cotton Couture worked better except I only had a half metre and I needed at least 1.5 metres. There was none available at my LQS but I found some online, ordered it and had it a couple of days later which allowed me one week to get the quilt finished before the on-line entries closed.

I finished the quilting and binding in four days, took plenty of photos and completed the entry form with a couple of days to spare, because I had forgotten about the time difference in the USA.  Now I just have to wait till the end of December to see if the quilt as been accepted.

10 comments:

  1. Good luck with your acceptance!! It's a lovely quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well done Pip, i love it.. hope it is accepted

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH It's beautiful Pip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it, Pip! You have had a most productive 2015. I wish you good luck for this 'challenge'. This quilt looks like a contender to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great quilt! Love the quilting. You certainly aren't daunted by pressure! Good Luck Pip

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I love it. Brilliant quilting, I'm sure it will be accepted! Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing quilting, and love the sphere! I'm hoping it gets in, so I can go and see it in person.
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow...Love what you have done :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I'll try and reply in a timely manner, usually by email, if you are a no-reply commenter then I will reply directly to your comment which means you will have to come back to see it :)