Sunday, 8 November 2015

The Miniature quilt

The second quilt I received a blue ribbon for was a miniature quilt.  I drew out a small log cabin block in EQ7 and played around with several layouts and colour ways although I didn't decide on the final layout until I had made the blocks.

I limited the fabric choices to what was in my batik stash, luckily for a miniature quilt you don't need too much fabric :)  The blocks were made using the foundation method, I usually print my block patterns onto paper and then tear it away after I've stitched the block, this time I used lightweight fabric to print the block pattern on, as I didn't want to take the chance of the blocks distorting when the paper was torn away.


Each log cabin is a 1 and a 1/2" finished square, I then added borders and used the leftover blocks for each corner, the narrow aqua border is 1/8" wide.  The quilting is quite minimal although I did do a fair amount of ditch stitching to stabilise the quilt before I did the decorative quilting, I used metallic threads for the decorative quilting.  The quilt was bound with a single fold binding and finished at 10 1/2" square.




I wrote a poem for the quilter's statement:

Illusions hath gems
an incandescent star glows
on a chartreuse field

the first three words of the poem are also an anagram (4 words - 2, 4, 5, 6)

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful. I appreciate the detail in your post. Using fabric foundation rather than paper makes so much sense. I've been playing with smaller blocks and find them fun to make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, it's tiny! It's a wonder you didn't sew your fingers whilst sewing those tiny blocks. The metallic threads would give it a lovely sparkle. A wonderful poem too, poems might be the new big thing for artist's statements.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pip!

    So very happy to see that you are BACK!!!!! So good to hear about what you have been up to. It gave me a very BIG smile to see that you have posted again ~ love to see your work and wishing you the very best!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one was amazing, so tiny and so perfect! You are a crazy woman making such a small quilt. It definitely deserved to win!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, that anagram is doing my head in!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha ha, I got it!

    IS THIS SMALL ENOUGH (it's wonderful)

    I couldn't stop until I got it!

    Cheers - Joolz xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Pip . . What perfection. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the anagram - and what a striking little quilt!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I'll try and reply in a timely manner, usually by email, if you are a no-reply commenter then I will reply directly to your comment which means you will have to come back to see it :)