Friday, 6 November 2015

Literal

At the moment I feel a bit like the walking dead, I'm very tired, suffice to say it has been two very long days and there are still two more to go.


The quilt above was my entry into the Modern Quilt Amateur category, it is called Literal (thanks to my sister Jenny for suggesting the name).  I improv pieced the words first and then added more fabric until I had a reasonable sized quilt.  It was quilted on my HQ Sweet 16, the quilting is mainly what I call organic lines with a few spirals and swirls thrown in here and there when I got bored with lines.
I also used a stencil to outline quilt the words "as desired" here and there on the quilt.


Quilt as Desired is the phrase which is often found at the end of quilt patterns and to me it has never been particularly helpful as most people I know would like to be given some ideas for quilting their quilt, so I have taken the phrase literally.  It was quite a fun quilt to make and quilt although I did get a bit sick of the quilting towards the end.

Thanks very much for all the lovely comments, I can't reply to Novice Knitter and flossypatchedbritches as they are both No reply Commenters  but your comments are much appreciated.

11 comments:

  1. Just looking at your smile Pip I can see how thrilled you are with the quilt. Rightly so too. It really is quite literally a work of art.
    I am smiling too. Well done. I know mum is very excited for you too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the concept and adore your execution. Wonky letters and such great interpretation!! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This quilt just makes me smile! Big congrats to you on such a whimsical design.:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations again! This is a fabulous and quilt with it's clever play with words, and excellent quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi again, Pip. I attended the Festival of Quilts yesterday & was over stimulated as always! You have been working very hard in the past year. I can see your skill & creativity has gone from strength to strength. Your awards are certainly well deserved. I enjoyed viewing the work in person. I love "Literal" . A very clever concept & all that quilting!! I saw you sitting nearby chatting with some (dare I say) fans but couldn't summon the courage to say hi. . . a bit starstruck, I think. I don't know why I am a "no reply commenter" but will keep seeking a way to reverse that and continue to follow your blog with pleasure. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your quilting is really good. Love the quilt :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved your quilt today, gave me a real laugh. Loved the quilted words 'as desired'. Well done for doing something different!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant, but can we see the back please?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I, too, would like to see the back. It's a wonderful quilt! "Lift here," is what has me intrigued the most :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah Pip. Your journey with this craft is on the ascendant, very clearly.
    You are going to be massive. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I'll try and reply in a timely manner, usually by email, if you are a no-reply commenter then I will reply directly to your comment which means you will have to come back to see it :)