Friday, 27 March 2015

I scream, you scream, we all scream for icecream ...

A few weeks ago I bought myself an ice cream machine as well as the book in the photo below.  I've had a newspaper clipping of a recipe for Bangkok Peanut ice cream (recipe here) for several years now and it sounded so intriguing that I promised myself I would make it one day.

Well that day came and even though cayenne pepper sounds like a strange ingredient to put in ice cream, the Mister (a chilli hater from way back) and I both enjoyed the ice cream very much. The ice cream reminded me more of a creamy satay sauce. I found the ice cream maker very easy to use, and we had ice cream in about 30 minutes although at that stage it is more like soft serve and needs about 4 hours freezing time.


I've enjoyed reading this book, Jeni's way of making ice cream is slightly different to the traditional method and she explains it very well in her book.  If you are interested in finding out more a link to Jeni's ice cream base can be found here and a little bit more information about Jeni here .

 I made a Baked Apple Sorbet a couple of days ago, and it is scrummy, my apples took about 40 minutes to cook,  instead of forcing the mixture through a sieve I just put it through my mouli and then chilled the mixture overnight in the fridge before churning.

 I also made a *rolled oat crunch to sprinkle over the sorbet for some textural contrast, and served with greek yogurt on the side.  This weekend I think I will try making a Roasted Peach sorbet, I don't have a recipe but I think I can wing it after making the Baked Apple sorbet.


*Rolled oat crunch is simple to make:

Melt 50g butter in a large frying pan, mix 1 and a 1/2 cups of rolled oats, handful of slivered almonds, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 cup each of brown sugar and white sugar, stir to mix, then toss into the melted butter and stir over a medium heat until the sugar caramelises and the oats and nuts are toasted, about 10 minutes, tip it onto a cold baking tray and leave to cool.  Best stored in an airtight container once cold.


5 comments:

  1. my mouth is watering!I am going to make the Bangkok peanut icecream for my DIL who grew up in Bangkok, she will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It all sounds fabulous! I like to make ice creams at home too. Here's my favorite recipe for Dulce de Leche gelato. Its a bit of work but worth the effort.

    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/dulce-de-leche-gelato-recipe.html#!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love ice cream. You have inspired me. I've often thought about buying a machine. I'd have some control of the sugar content. The Bangcock recipe sound yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh yum! That looks like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have just purchased an ice cream maker so loved reading your post. I am currently trying different ingredients so see what results I get.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I'll try and reply in a timely manner, usually by email, if you are a no-reply commenter then I will reply directly to your comment which means you will have to come back to see it :)