Tuesday, 13 January 2015

Of bags and other things ...


Before Christmas I caught up with Amanda's Chocolate Marshmallow sampler blocks, and put the flying geese sashing on all the Threads of Memory blocks so they would be ready for a quick finish in the New Year, alas I forgot about the flying geese that I needed for two of the sides so there was no quick finish for me.


After receiving this lovely Boxy Pouch (the one on the right) from Sheila I thought I would have a go at making one too.  The tutorial is here, I also looked at this tutorial here as well.  It took me about 2 1/2 hours to make once I had decided on my fabric, I used a Parlon iron-on batting and used grosgrain ribbon for my tabs at each end as I couldn't be bothered making them the way the pattern showed, I also made mine an inch longer.  For some reason my bag ended up slightly larger than the one Sheila gave me.




While the bag making mood was in full swing I also decided to attempt the Sew Together Bag (a digital pattern available from Craftsy.  In addition to following the pattern instructions I followed the Quilt Barn sewalong and I also put tab ends on the pocket zippers as shown here.  I didn't time how long the bag took to make as I spread it out over 3 days, I cut the fabric and interfacing one day, constructed most of the bag the next day and finished it off today, probably at least 8 hours all up.


Surprisingly, I enjoyed making both bags, it was a bit of a change from machine piecing and I think another couple of bags are on the sewing horizon.

6 comments:

  1. Lovely work. A change is as good as a holiday as they say!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful blocks Pip!
    Both of those bags are terrific.
    Thanks for sharing the tutorial links.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, the bag looks really complicated... but a great finish! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the blocks you are working on! Such cute bags. I especially like the one with the zippered sections. I might have to trey that one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your block looks amazing Gray mix of fabric. I don't seem to have the patience for bag making at the moment

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your sew together bag. I have the pattern on my to do list. The outer fabric is perfect.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I'll try and reply in a timely manner, usually by email, if you are a no-reply commenter then I will reply directly to your comment which means you will have to come back to see it :)