Wednesday, 9 April 2014

Waste not, want not

When I made the flying geese for the frame medallion quilt, I turned the trimmings into half square triangle (HST) blocks.  At the time I had no idea how I would use them, but I couldn't bear to toss them out. At our most recent guild meeting I purchased directions for a smaller version of the Rajah quilt  the original quilt measures a whopping 325 x 327 cm (128 x 129 inches) but the directions I purchased are for a smaller version (I think it is a quarter size of the original) measuring 160 x 160 cm (63 x 63 inches).



The Rajah quilt is probably one of Australia's most important textiles, it is quite fragile and is not usually kept out on display. You can read a bit more about the quilt here and also listen to the story of the quilt here. It was most recently displayed at the Queensland Art Gallery last year in their Quilts 1700-1945 exhibition, I would have loved to visit the exhibition but I had too much of my Flower Garden quilt left to finish :(


Today as I was pressing the HST blocks I glanced at the pattern and noticed there were two borders using HSTs, so I checked the pattern and YES, I will be able to trim my HSTs to the size required for the quilt,  I have just over 100 units and there are about 196 units in one border so now I have found a use for the HSTs and have yet another project to add to the evergrowing list, although there is no hope of this one being started for some time.  To read more about the pattern release pop over to Michelle Hill's blog.

8 comments:

  1. Wow, so exciting to read about the pattern being put out. I saw the original one in Brisbane. Great to have a start already with your 1/2 squares, even if you dont get on to making it for some time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an incredible quilt!
    I am so looking forward to following your progress on recreating this lovely treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is a very interesting pattern, I have read a little bit about it and find it amazing that it is still around-good they keep it safe

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the look of this beautiful new quilt project. I am in love with medallion quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw the original in the UK a couple years ago. I wondered when it would be patterned, and now it's ready! Looks much smaller than the original. A great quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. serendipity is a wonderful thing

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that's quite the medallion quilt! Beautiful. Happy to see someone also saves trimmed off corners for HSTs :0)

    ReplyDelete
  8. How exciting to make this quilt - beautiful pattern and you have made a great start! I like your fabric choices.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I'll try and reply in a timely manner, usually by email, if you are a no-reply commenter then I will reply directly to your comment which means you will have to come back to see it :)