Saturday, 12 April 2014

A new bed for Cody?

Whenever we leave an empty box on the floor, chances are Cody will end up sleeping in it and this time was no exception, he spent half the day sleeping in this one.


That box was all that remained from the mountain of cardboard that surrounded the newest piece of technology in our house.  Yes, the Mister bought me a Handiquilter Sweet 16 sit-down quilting machine and I have been busy quilting up all those quilts I have made - in my dreams that is :)


For the moment I am just getting familiar with the machine, it seems quite noisy to me, and is a bit different from quilting on a domestic sewing machine, the amount of space available to move the fabric sandwich around is wonderful.

 front of sample
back of sample

My first attempt resulted in very long stitches but I seem to have that mostly under control now, I'm planning on spending at least 30 minutes a day practising my quilting, because practise makes perfect or so the saying goes, but I think I will be happy with almost perfect.

12 comments:

  1. Congratulations! what an exciting purchase ... do tell how you go with practising and what you think of the machine - I toy with the idea on and off and would love to hear how you find it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how exciting! Your quilting is already beautiful... and "almost perfect" definitely works for me! Have fun!



    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! With that 'almost perfect' start will be looking forward to your progress! Fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you will be happy with your machine! almost perfect will be good :) I know of another blogger (and I'm sure there are many) that have this machine and love it. I kind of think they are all loud to me though! something to get used to I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so pleased you are having fun with your new machine. I know you have the self dicipline to get in that daily practice and will be an expert in know time.... BTW Perfection is over rated in my book :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How on earth do cats fit into such tight spaces , and apparently enjoy it. I know that Bobbin winder box is not that big and Cody is enormous

      Delete
  6. Congrats on your new machine ! SO jealous ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done Pip! Soooo lucky! This is my dream. Love to hear how you go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Green Green Green with envy. Don't think my mister would be buying that for me any time soon but it is on the dream purchases for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Poor Cody...no wonder he's in a box.... you have a new love interest and he's unimpressed.

    Welcome to the new Sweetheart! She's purring already!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! How exciting! Looks like you're doing a great job already. Don't practice for too long - you need to dive in!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Pip, you lucky duck to have a husband to spoil you! I think your quilting is already so good on the sweet sixteen. I had a dream to own one many moons ago.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I'll try and reply in a timely manner, usually by email, if you are a no-reply commenter then I will reply directly to your comment which means you will have to come back to see it :)