Wednesday, 12 March 2014

It growed ...

isn't it amazing how the larger border has changed the appearance of the quilt centre, (if it appears a bit lopsided, it is because I haven't got it lined up straight on the design wall).  I forgot to mention in my previous post that I am hand piecing this quilt - including the borders.  It took me about 30 minutes (a little less for the inner borders) to stitch each border on.


The next pieced border won't be as quick as the last two as fabrics still need to be selected, 64 squares and 128 triangles must be cut out (and marked) and only then can I start piecing them together. The piecing never seems to take as long as the cutting out and marking of the pieces, probably because it is a more enjoyable part of the process.

11 comments:

  1. This border has emphasised colours that were previously subdued - very clever, Pip! Looking good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debz, I'm really pleased I found that fabric for the border, it has worked out well.

      Delete
  2. Love that Denyse Schmidt The yellow really makes the aquas and blues sing and the reds, pop,... a summery feel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it is so lovely Pip. I am a recent convert and fan of medallion quilts. I am happy that you are hand making your quilt, I get tired of people telling me "but it's so SLOW" yes it's not a race I say.
    I am enjoying watching your progress. Thankyou for your comment on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful!!!

    I love that you are hand stitching this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love watching this one grow - everything about it - hand stitching is so enjoyable

    ReplyDelete
  6. The border is a perfect choice to set off your centre Pip, looking forward to what comes next, no pressure though :-) enjoy the process

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is gorgeous, Pip! (I really should get mine out and finish it - need to find it first tho!!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow........ that's great. Love the design and the fabric choices.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love seeing this quilt evolve - it's already gorgeous!
    What a treasure this will be!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is lovely Pip it's nice seeing it grow.

    ReplyDelete