Wednesday, 27 November 2013

Finishitis is still rampant ..


I'm at the finishing stage of my oldest UFO, I think this was started in 1979 and I worked on it quite a bit for the next few years, making the hexagon flowers, joining it up to make the quilt top and there it sat and sat.  I would take it out periodically and look at it and think I must finish this...

A few years ago I cut into it and used the cut off piece as a backing for a dog blanket, (still have it but it's a cat blanket which Cody loves),  I also used a couple of the flowers to make pincushions,and although there was still plenty of the quilt left, it still didn't get finished.


After I tidied up my work room I pulled it out again and started stitching a few hexagons on the edges with the idea of finishing it off.  I had been working away for about half an hour when I realised I wasn't enjoying it so I thought "Bugger it, I will just stitch a border of black fabric on each side and then another border of print fabric and call it done" so I did and it felt as if a big weight had been lifted off my back. I'm quilting it now so maybe another finish will happen in a week or so.


7 comments:

  1. Oh Bravo!
    Very "modern" with all that black....
    my cupboards are full of bad karma with Unloved Unfinished Uglies. You are going to feel so FREEEeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for you, the best way to deal with it i think. Maybe i should get mine out and do the same ... maybe not

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! You are giving me inspiration to work on my UFO's! Not sure how many I have at this point in time :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL - that is what we have to do sometimes!! I have done the same thing turning a quilt that was meant to be queen size into a table topper in my case!! Sometimes we just loose interest in a quilt top but feel that we must finish it somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's no fun if the project has lost it's charm for you. Well done for saying "bugger it" and stopping when you did!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So lovely!
    Greetings from Finland! :)
    Ulla's Quilt World
    Hugs, Ulla

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good on you, I hope you manage to finish it and then it will be done with and the weight off your shoulders will be gone for good!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I'll try and reply in a timely manner, usually by email, if you are a no-reply commenter then I will reply directly to your comment which means you will have to come back to see it :)