Thursday, 12 September 2013

A small excursion

Today Sheila and I went on a small excursion, we met up at the Fullarton Park Centre to see Thread Counts - an exhibition of art quilts by Mary Willams and fabric sculptures by Janet Smith. Rather than reinvent the wheel writing about it I will direct you to Michelle Hill's blog where she wrote a lovely post about the exhibition on her blog here (just scroll down for pictures)


 I was quite taken by the tiled fireplace surround, great inspiration for an applique quilt perhaps?  As we were close by we also decided to take in a trip to The Drapery - a newish fabric shop which has opened in Glen Osmond Rd, they have some lovely fabrics in stock including plenty of linens, but the fabrics which caught my eye were their Oakshott cottons, I bought a small remnant (this time), but the price per metre is quite reasonable $30 (might be a bit less) and compares well with the price on the Oakshott website.


We weren't too far from another shop - Quiltaholics so diverted there to have a quick look, I purchased a small amount of batik fabric, after a quick refueling (for us) stop at Hahndorf we headed back down the hill and dropped into Riverlea Quilts and spent some time chatting about Australian quilts and waggas with Lyn.  No fabric for me here, (although I was a little bit tempted) instead I bought a small 2014 calendar for my workroom.  Just looking at my purchases I have realised that it all seems quite colour coordinated, I have no plans for the fabrics, but I do require the needles, I seem to be going through a few needles with all the quilting.

3 comments:

  1. And didn't we have fun, so much inspiration, but we were strong , well fairly strong, not to get lured into new projects

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, for us foreigners, what is a wagga?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my bad I should have put a link to wagga, it is a type of Australian quilt, you can read more about it at the following link: http://www.collectionsaustralia.net/nqr/wendy.php

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I'll try and reply in a timely manner, usually by email, if you are a no-reply commenter then I will reply directly to your comment which means you will have to come back to see it :)