Sunday, 28 July 2013

Slight direction change

After seeing the FMQ practise that I did yesterday, my friend Sheila suggested that I photocopy some of the fabric and do some drawing, perhaps using the circles in the fabric to make a rounder loop.  So I photocopied the fabric and did a bit of doodling and I quite like the result, it makes a flatter finish than the flowers and loop pattern, and there is more definition.  The photo below was taken after I pinned the sample to the design wall, as you can see my original flower and loop pattern on the right doesn't stand out as much.


In my breaks from FMQ practise I put together the next part of the Museum Medallion quilt, so now the inner circle is complete, and I can move on to cutting out the surround for the centre, add the striped borders, then start piecing the next border.


9 comments:

  1. I think today's practice has given you a more pleasing circle, I would probably leave out the smaller circles and add in some flowers. Its important to alternate the direction of your loops it helps to keep you out of tight spots and stop it looking like a string of fairy lights. Always look ahead to where you are going to place your next loop and remember it Okay to stop (just not mid loop if you can avoid it).... Lastly put on some music or a talking book to occupy the left side of your brain while the right side gets creative

    ReplyDelete
  2. love that circle project that you are working on. I am now wondering what the rest of it looks like and will be keeping an eye out for updates!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea to use a photocopy for practice...
    Your Medallion centre is lovely, you're using a wonderful variety of fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clever Sheila... No.2 looks perfect. Thats the loveliest medallion centre, Pip....keep going.... cant wait to see it expanding. Fabric selection is very perky!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great fmq practice Pip, and your medallion is divine!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous medallion! And you are doing well with your free motion practice! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing Medallion--quite a lot of inspiration! And bravo to you for working on the quilting practice. I had never thought of photocopying the quilt block and drawing on the ideas. I usually just lay a transparent piece of paper over the block and draw on that to figure things out. But doing it the photocopy way would leave a more permanent record of the process. Interesting!

    Elizabeth E.
    opquilt.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done on the FMQ Pip. I am at about your stage - or less- haha. They tell me its practise. Yours is looking good, and I love the Medallion block.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad I popped in. I am at about the same stage with learning how to FMQ! It's not so easy, but each practice session gets better and better. Loving that Medallion Block! Will definitely stop back by to see your progress!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I'll try and reply in a timely manner, usually by email, if you are a no-reply commenter then I will reply directly to your comment which means you will have to come back to see it :)