Friday, 22 February 2013

The monkey is nearly off my back

Right now I'm sitting here eating my regular Friday morning treat of half an almond croissant (the Mister and I share one between us) and feeling a little bit smug, mainly because I have finished all my meal prep for the weekend (a forecast temperature of 37C/98.6F combined with humidity) which will allow me to spend more time quilting.


The Uzbek Patches quilt top has been completed, I already have the backing fabric so just need to buy some batting and then I can start quilting. I'm not sure how I will quilt this, hand quilting will work best I think, maybe some Kantha style running stitch.  I used a mixture of Kaffe Fassett shot cotton (solids and stripes), a Reece Scannel shot cotton, Kona and homespun cotton solids and some ikats which I found online.



The shot cottons have a lovely feel but are a bit challenging to sew with, mainly I think because they are a looser weave so they tend to stretch a bit, (and there is also some fraying) which makes seam matching a bit more difficult, they also don't take to reverse sewing either.  The ikats are also loosely woven fabrics but as the border is an uneven one I wasn't concerned about matching seams.

the results of a quilty gathering last weekend

The picture above shows what happens when a group of quilters are let loose in a quilt shop. The South Australian members of a Facebook group that I belong to got together last Sunday for lunch, show and tell (I only took one photo) and chat (lots of it), we finished off the day with a side trip to The Mallee Tree.  I was quite restrained and only acquired three pieces of fabric, as you can see others were not so restrained, all told it was another lovely day meeting up with the South Australian girls.  I drove all by myself there and back, as I don't do a great deal of driving, it was quite an achievement for me, now I have to pluck up the courage to drive to guild meetings by myself.


9 comments:

  1. wohhhh, that's gorgeous, Pip!!! Would love to see some closeups of that when you've got it quilted, or even before that! I would be quite chicken to use those fabrics together. Good going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pip, you did a brilliant job with Uzbek patches, Kathy D would be proud of you. I think you are right with the Kantha style quilting idea, it will suit very well. I note it glows a little more with the light behind it, i always like the stained glass effect of sunlight coming through. Sunday was terrific, it would be fun to do it regularly, such a nice bunch of women

    ReplyDelete
  3. very unusual and bright - pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job Pip. Hope you pluck up enough courage to meet with me in April :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ta Daaaa! Nearly finished...here's my medal... for seeing this through to this stage. . . . . well done and I love the colour choices. The ikats give movement and kantha stitching will be perfect. Tally ho onto your next project with Silver!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it looks fantastic. Called into Hetties today and Lorraine had made a beautiful bag using Uzbek Patches and shot cottons it is very tempting. I have been collecting 1/2m of moda plains through QFD so I don't think I will be using shotcottons this time . Love your border.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is amazing, I immediately thought Jospeh's technicoloured dream coat!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your Uzbek! It looks fabulous. Sounds like a lovely day with your friends, and quite a haul there too. Well done on the driving.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I'll try and reply in a timely manner, usually by email, if you are a no-reply commenter then I will reply directly to your comment which means you will have to come back to see it :)