Monday, 28 January 2013

Last year I bought a few quilty books for a Christmas present to myself, so far I have only flicked through them briefly, there are lots of lovely photos in all of them and I am really looking forward to spending more time with the Kaffe Fassett book, it is a fairly large and heavy book so really only suitable for reading in the daytime.


Today the Mister very kindly installed my design wall, nothing special, just some bits of aluminium angle which was used to clamp the quilt batting at the top and then a piece of wood which was screwed to the wall at the bottom to keep the batting straight and taut.  I am very happy with the result, the Mister on the other hand is not quite as happy, he says it needs something on each side to finish it off and he will rectify this in due course.


 As you can see, it is covers a reasonable area  (about 2m x 2m or 78" x 78") I have already put it to good use, hanging a completed part of the Uzbek Patches quilt from Kathy Doughty's book,  Making Quilts - The Promise of Joy. The rest of the patches are cut out and I will put them up on the design wall sometime this week, I definitely won't miss having to crawl around on the floor moving pieces of fabric around.


9 comments:

  1. Hi Pip, I think of you often and hope you are well. I still look at your blog though I don't spend as much time on here now :) I have my favourites and visit them and am still inspired by the energy and interest of the people that write them. Marilyn xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a very good idea and not at all obtrusive.
    I live in a funny old house, with lots of fireplaces, windows and doorways. Believe it or not, plain bits of wall are few and far between here LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clever Mister.
    Clever Pip...those uzbeks are totally dynamic on the vertical. They make me smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is great - if I ever get a new room for quilting I want one wall as a design wall

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uzbek patches is looking good I haven't decided which quilt I will start next from kathy's book I think I now have just about collected all the templates and I have plenty of fabric stockpiled. But first the sewing room is getting a major clean out

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful that you now have the design wall - my dear Mum uses hers all the time.

    The Uzbek patches look really effective with the clear piece of colour and interesting shapes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. GREAT design wall Pip!
    I look forward to seeing many of your projects appearing there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done to the Mister - fabulous design wall. And the quilt looks good on it too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brilliant design wall! The Mister has done a great job!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I'll try and reply in a timely manner, usually by email, if you are a no-reply commenter then I will reply directly to your comment which means you will have to come back to see it :)