Tuesday, 20 November 2012

Farmer's Wife quilt

On Saturday I put my Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt on our bed,  I really wanted to see how it fitted and looked on our bed.  It fits really well with a nice overhang on the sides and the end, the finished quilt size ended up being 222cm long and wide - so it's a nice square shape and we have a queen size bed, oh and the quilt looks really good, now I just have to remember to put a cover over it so it doesn't get "furred" by Cody.


 I made my quilt dimensions slightly different from that in the Farmer's Wife book, where the queen size quilt  is 210cm x 261cm (83" x 103").  In the book the quilt is seven blocks across the top and nine down the side.  Thanks to Sheila's suggestion I made mine with eight blocks across the top and eight down the side which meant I needed to add in two extra blocks, and I think this has resulted in a more useful quilt size.



me at the quilt show beside my FW quilt,
no ribbon for me but I did receive a lovely
critique from one of the judges - Julie Adamson

13 comments:

  1. Just beautiful! I also sized mine differently, but right off hand I don't remember how. I love your color choices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. JUST GORGEOUS!!! Give yourself a BIG pat on the back for a job well done. This quilt will be a wonderful family heirloom !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Pip, if I had a ribbon, I would give it to you, I think this is a work of art.

    I'm sure this stunning quilt will become a family heirloom and be passed down through the generations. When I see quilts like this, I realise why it is important to label the,

    ReplyDelete
  4. it looks so good hanging there and on your bed! I think a lot of quilt patterns need to be adjusted in size I think because most of the time they do not fit my queen bed right - most do not have enough overhang for deep mattresses. I almost always make mine bigger than the pattern calls for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beautiful! I took a photo of your quilt at the Quilt Show in Adelaide - I didn't make the connection that it was made by someone who's blog I follow when I read the tag ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw this gorgeous quilt at the show and didn't read who had made it! You should have taken me over and showed it off. I am thinking about delving into a FWS but just can't decide on fabrics! I will definitely be foundation paper piecing it though! xo Lara

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely FABULOUS !!! Well done, you do so deserve a medal

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's beautiful! Love, love, love it!!!! Also love that top, you did an amazing job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done...it looks amazing!!! My FW is destined to be a potholder I think :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your quilt Pip, and the square size really is much more useful. It looks fabulous on your bed, and I love that we have the same cat-shedding situation :-)
    IMHO your FWS had the best fabric/colour combo of them all!
    *hugs*
    Tazzie
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Despite all your own doubts you have a wonderful quilt.. Glad i was able to help with adjusting the size/shape of it... i am really unhappy with the dimension of mine (made per the book direction) I admire the fact you stuck to quilting it yourself, (even the un-sewing) I was so happy to be there with you when you were given that lovely positive critique.... You will be a force to be reckoned with next year

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful finish to this quilt Pip! I think it is definately deserving of a ribbon!
    I really love your borders too. It is stitched and quilted so beautifully! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on completion of your wonderful quilt. I know a lot of work and love went into it, and it is gorgeous! You get a best of show from me!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I'll try and reply in a timely manner, usually by email, if you are a no-reply commenter then I will reply directly to your comment which means you will have to come back to see it :)