Tuesday, 14 August 2012

The finish line is in sight ...

Making this quilt top has been a bit like running a marathon, although having run three marathons (albeit sometime ago) the last couple of days have made me think that I would rather run a marathon :)

I had already joined together the top left and bottom right hand corner, but as I had cut the setting triangles using the "cut a square in half method" , the edges were starting to look a bit wavy due to the bias edges.  Karen from The Sewing Sanctuary suggested that I cut the triangles on the straight instead,(see here for some instructions and calculations) and even though it meant I had a bit of reverse stitching to do it was worth the effort - no wavy edges and I will definitely use this method again.



That was the least of my troubles as I had a few problems getting everything to line up exactly, in the end I decided not to be so obsessed with perfection and just get the thing finished.  The quilt flimsy would have been finished last night but due to the basic error of not putting the right sides of the fabrics together on the last border I had to do some reverse stitching, I finished it off this morning and as rain was forecast there was a bit of a rush to take some quick photos outside (it hasn't rained yet)

Now I will be indulge myself and take a little time to catch up on my blog reading which has been sadly neglected the last couple of weeks, then I will go over the quilt and get rid of all the loose bits of thread etc and start making a quilt sandwich so the quilting can be started.

22 comments:

  1. Outstanding, the red just sets the blocks off beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo! You did it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a Gold Medal finish, Pip! reverse stitching is quite an art...sorry you had to get some more practise in, with this beauty! but how fantastic that you can stand back and clap yourself to an impressive finish. Its Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Pip! This is another Masterful work of art! you should be very proud of this accomplishment - truly amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats! red looks great as does the quilt.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way to go!! Finishing a quilt is a lot like finishing a marathon. Grueling, exhausting, but so worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your quilt looks lovely Pip. Well done - a great achievement. I do my triangles that way. No bias edges. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow, it is stunning! I'd rather run this kind of marathon - look what you have in the end!!! Well done :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. The quilt is beautiful! I can see lots of hard work in it, no wonder you compare it to a marathon. Biased triangles are difficult even when they are small - I am sure it made a big difference cutting yours on the straight.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Pip it is BEAUTIFUL. Congratulations on your finish.
    Thanks for the link, I saved it for later on.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks fabulous..great to see it all together..you must be so pleased with it

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow Pip that is just fantastic! Congratulations on your wonderful achievement!

    ReplyDelete
  13. congratulations on completing this beautiful quilt top Pip. You have put so much thought into all of your fabric choices and, despite the grief the setting triangles have given you, its all been worth it. Looking forward to seeing it in person

    ReplyDelete
  14. Woohoo!! Congratulations on your finish Pip.

    Beautiful!!! A gold medal quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Pip, Oh My, Oh WOW!

    I hope you poured yourself a glass of something nice then sat back and relaxed (with a refill or two) that evening!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So beautiful... ya done good!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations ! You did it ! This quilt is Amazing & I love the red fabric PERFECT ! This quilt will be a family heirloom !

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, incredible quilt and such beautiful colors. I love the red fabric as well. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations great effort my FW looks as if it will be a single bed quilt ...well thats better than the place mats I thought in the beginning LOL

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a beauty! Love the colours and the perseverance! This is one to be proud of!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, it looks stunning. Well done on your perseverence.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You know Pip I intended to do the Farmers Wife quilt but never got around to it. I've yet to put all my blocks together for the Civil War quilt. So many quilts, so little time. I LOVE yours.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I'll try and reply in a timely manner, usually by email, if you are a no-reply commenter then I will reply directly to your comment which means you will have to come back to see it :)