Friday, 6 July 2012

I have been using a hoop for my hand quilting for some time now but have found it has limitations when used with larger quilts, so I have been looking at floor quilting frames but they are rather expensive, they take up a lot of room and I can't really justify spending that amount of money, even a Q Snap floor model like this one is fairly expensive (think of all the fabric you could buy).  My friend Sheila thought it would be possible to make a similar one so I showed the picture to the Mister and asked if he could make something similar and this is what he came up with.


I have tried it out and it works quite well, I'm not convinced that the clamps are the best way to tension the quilt top, but for the moment they are doing the job and they are reasonably easy to put on.  It will pull apart and can be stored under a bed, and is fairly lightweight so quite easy to move around.  Cody has been eyeing it off with a view to making his bed on it, which is a bad idea (for him) as I doubt that it would support his weight (some 9 kg or 20lb) so he will have to settle for curling up underneath it.




#64 Peace and Plenty

After making this block today I think I may have been a bit ambitious in thinking I would finish all the FW blocks by Sunday night, I'm thinking Tuesday will be nearer the mark.

10 comments:

  1. he is clever..that will make quilting easier on you..will follow your progress..I wish that frames were a little more affordable too..

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a clever fellow your Mister is. I just knew it could be done. Its just simple plumbing.

    Now I'm jealous and will have to set my fellow to work... I think the clamps i have from my lap frame should do the trick.
    Would large bulldog clips fit as clamps? Or would your ratchets sit out of the way if you angled them down a bit?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure what size PVC pipe your DH used but... you can get just the Q-Snap clamps without buying the entire set up.

    http://store.quilting-warehouse.com/072108.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. So smart to have the frame built to suit! I have always wondered at how expensive quilting frames were. Good luck finishing the last few blocks so that you can get started with the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have seen clamps for the pvc type of frame that you have but I don't know where. Quilters need to make due with what ever kind of quilting frame they can afford or have space for and we win for coming up with ideas!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. So nice to have a hubby who can make things. (Mine sure can't) I guess for now I'll have to stick to my hoop. The block will make a lovely addition to your project.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your FW and the fabrics you have used. The Mister is pretty handy making you a new quilt frame. Freda sent me over to your blog and I just joined as a Follower. Look forward to your new adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your FW blocks! I love the fabrics you've chosen. Your workmanship is so precise. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job hubby! I have the floor q snap & it is handy, but way too wide. On my to-do list is to get replacement pvc for the depth...of course, this has been on my list for some time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Clever hubby!!! Beautiful quilt on the frame too and I love that block - too many little pieces for me!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I'll try and reply in a timely manner, usually by email, if you are a no-reply commenter then I will reply directly to your comment which means you will have to come back to see it :)