Tuesday, 19 June 2012

Slight change of pace

I decided to have a break from the FW quilt today and thought I would get the Civil War quilt (aka The Mister's quilt) ready for quilting.  I finished this quilt top back in January so its about time that I think about getting it finished, or at least make a start on it, and as Barbara Brackman will be starting a new BOW later on this year, it would be nice to have the first one finished or nearly finished.


The basting and sandwiching took about an hour, I use spray baste and roll the batting and the quilt onto boards and then unroll them out over the backing, it works very well and saves the knees.  I usually put a few safety pins in just to keep everything together as I only spray baste very lightly.


I'd forgotten how tiring it is to manouevre a heavy quilt around the sewing machine, good exercise for the arms though.  It would be so nice to have a massive table that could take all the weight of the quilt but I guess we make do with what we have, don't we?


I'm keeping it fairly simple for the moment, just straight-line quilting from corner to corner on the sashing, which makes a nice cross on the cornerstones.  Once I've finished the sashing then I will think about how to quilt the blocks, at this stage I think it will be more straight-line quilting with perhaps some hand quilting on some of the blocks.

12 comments:

  1. Lovely manly colours - you have such an eye for colour match.

    Joolz

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like it will be an awesome quilt once finished

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done you for making a start, I like that corner to corner solution in the sashing, beats ditch stitching. I have been hoping mine would just do itself if i leave it long enough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The quilt looks great. I love the colours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved making this quilt, and yours is beautiful. I look forward to seeing it all complete.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WTG, Pip! Love your sashing X's... great idea!

    I'm looking forward to the next BB BOW... I miss the weekly Saturday morning block...

    ReplyDelete
  7. it is hard to machine quilt a big quilt with a home machine isn't it. I have tried two quilts doing straight lines and had to put several small tables around my machine to help with the weight - I think I will stick with hand quilting as long as I can!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the colors & fabrics you used for this quilt and the top finished up beautiful! The Mister will surely LOVE this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. you do such a great job with all your quilts...happy quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful quilt! Love the idea of how you are quilting the sashing and then will go back and do the blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really good Pip. Might do as you do, when I get around to finishing that quilt! How will we find out about the new BOW

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your colours Pip. Quilt looks like a photo spread for The Olde English Tile Company! The Mister should be delighted . . its beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I'll try and reply in a timely manner, usually by email, if you are a no-reply commenter then I will reply directly to your comment which means you will have to come back to see it :)