Monday, 28 May 2012

Another use for Quince

This recipe came to me from a blog reader, Annette who had read  the Quince Paste  post.  It is a Poached Quince Cake, I had two quince ripening on the kitchen bench for a couple of weeks which were earmarked for this cake, in the end I only had one quince as the other had rotted from the inside, rather than go without I halved the recipe and this was probably a good thing as although the Mister and I can eat quite a lot, I think the whole cake recipe would have been a bit of overkill for us.

I only used two ramekins to cook the cake which was a mistake as there was a lot of cake batter, (made for a very enjoyable licking of the bowl) so next time I will use four ramekins, this is reflected in the recipe.

If you double the recipe, you will need to cook the cake in a 22cm deep round cake pan and it will take about one hour to bake.



82g caster sugar
10ml lemon juice (I didn't measure, I just squeezed the juice in)
2 Cardamom pods, bruised
1 cup water
1 medium quince, peeled, cored and cut into 8 wedges

Combine the sugar, lemon juice and water in a small saucepan, stir over moderate heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil, add quince, reduce heat and simmer for around 75 minutes or until quince is a deep rosy pink.*  Remove quince from syrup and drain, (make sure to keep the syrup for later).  Cool quince for 15 or so minutes.  You might find it necessary to add some more water if it evaporates too much.

Preheat oven to 180C (or 160C fan forced**), grease 4 ramekins***, put a circle of baking paper in the base to make it easy to turn out once cooked.

93g butter, chopped and at room temperature
82g caster sugar
1 egg, at room temperature
100g Greek Style yogurt
1 cup self raising flour

Using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar in a bowl until pale and creamy, add the egg and beat well.  Stir in yogurt and flour and mix to combine.  The mixture is quite a stiff one.

Arrange two quince wedges on the lined base of each ramekin, then divide the cake mixture evenly between each ramekin, smooth the surface and bake for 15-20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.

Cool in ramekin for 10 minutes.  Run a knife between the cake and the ramekin and turn the cakes out onto plates with raised edges (you'll be sorry if you don't).  Bring the reserved syrup to the boil over high heat and boil till slightly thickened - about 5 minutes.

Drizzle the hot syrup over the hot cake (now you know why the raised edge on the plate is necessary)

Stand five minutes before eating.


* The quince I used were tender after about 45 minutes, but I kept on cooking them till they turned pink, I needed to add a bit more water as well.

** I found that the fan forced setting browned the cake too quickly so I  used the Bake option. 

*** The ramekins I used were Ikea ceramic ones with a diameter of 12cm and an inside depth of 5.5cm

Thinking ahead I have preserved some jars of quince so that I can make this cake later on in the year  :)


6 comments:

  1. Hmmmmmm Deserrrrrrt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks and sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have only had quince jelly and quince paste so not real sure of the true taste of quince. The cake looks really scrummy.

    Did you see Maggie Beer's Upside down Grape cake on MasterChef last night? Wow!

    Cheers - Joolz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delicious!
    Thank you fro the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow !! I'm bookmarking this one for later use, it looks scrumptious. I can taste it already (with a big dollop of Tweedvale cream)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I'll try and reply in a timely manner, usually by email, if you are a no-reply commenter then I will reply directly to your comment which means you will have to come back to see it :)