Saturday, 21 April 2012

Quince Paste revisited

On  Friday I bought some quinces at Central Market as I intended to make another batch of quince paste over the weekend.  According to the stats on my blog this post on quince paste has been the most viewed post ever.  This time I thought I would show some photos of the process as it happens.


Quinces have been in the slow cooker (set on high) for about one hour,
this time I added about a quarter cup of water so they wouldn't catch to the bottom.


they have been cooking for three hours now, I've turned the heat off and will leave them till tomorrow morning when I will (hopefully) slip the skins off and put them through the mouli, measure the resulting pulp, put it back into the slow cooker, add sugar, cook for about three hours and then I will have some lovely quince paste (once it has cooled and set of course)



Today was also the Farmer's Wife Sit and Sew day at The Sewing Sanctuary at Aldinga, once again it was a lovely day there, this time I only managed to half finish a block (#68 Postage Stamp) composed of 35 pieces,  maybe I spent too much time talking today :)

9 comments:

  1. That looks a whole lot easier than peeling them before cooking, might have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never had quince - is "paste" like "jam"
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never had quince paste... I wonder if I can find quinces around here?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhhh My mouth is watering Pip.
    Golden Quince AND perfect blue and yellow squares. What a productive Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I make quince paste every year and for the 2nd step I cook it on the stove.....it gets quite volcanic....I have the scars to prove it!! Lol. Next year I am going to try putting the quinces and sugar back in the slow cooker. Sounds much safer!!!!Looking forward to your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Pip, I too like to make quince paste bot I always peel and de-core them before adding the sliced quinces to the pot. I put the cores and peelings into a muslin cloth and cook them too, at the same time (in the same pot) because that is where all the "good stuff" is...to aid in the final setting.
    I like to do it stove top in a deep pot with a long wooden spoon so its easier to dodge the explosions !! lol
    The last lot that I made ended up so thick that when it set I couldn't remove it from the little containers, its more like candy than paste.
    If you go to the Meadows Easter market (yes, I know Easter was just last week but keep it in mind)there is a chap there that sells lovely quinces for 50 cents each, but you need to be there early on the Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like an easy way to do it...love blue and yellow together..

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea Pip. I'll have to either buy a tree or find some quinces. It is very expensive to buy. Yours looks divine!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I'll try and reply in a timely manner, usually by email, if you are a no-reply commenter then I will reply directly to your comment which means you will have to come back to see it :)