Sunday, 22 April 2012

Quince Paste revisited part two

This morning I took the cooled quinces from the slow cooker and slipped the skins off, then cut them in half and took out the fibrous cores ready for putting through the food mill.


the quince puree all ready to measure, there was six cups and as the puree
was quite sweet I just added five cups of sugar, stirred it up and turned the 
slow cooker to high.


the quince puree after about an hour on high, I stirred it a couple of times
and then let it continue to cook for another three hours, the last hour
was with the lid off, to aid evaporation.


you can see that the colour has changed, I think that it
probably could have been cooked for longer , but I won't
know till tomorrow morning, it tastes pretty good though.


tomorrow morning I will put the quince paste in the dehydrator
for a couple of hours to dry it out further.  Last time I made quince paste I put it
in the warm oven to continue to dry out, then forgot about it and turned the oven on,
I did manage to rescue it before too much damage was done.

I think this method of making quince paste is the easiest (and safest) way to make it.  It does take longer than the conventional stove top method, but you don't need to stand over the stove and stir all the time.  

7 comments:

  1. Wow... beautiful! I love using my slow cooker to make applesauce and will keep my eyes open this fall to see if I can find some quinces!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two days of the glorious fragrance from cooking quince drifting through your home .... = bliss to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious. I bet your home has a wonderful fragrance!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks wonderful! Love that amethyst colour!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks so beautiful! I am definitely going to give this link to my sister because it seems an awesome way to make quince paste! She has a tree in her backyard and always does something with them each year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a great colour after cooking...standing and stirring for too long is not much fun, so your way does sound easy..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm. The olives, the quince paste...sounds like a party is due with US as taste testers. I can almost smell your house Pip and it smells YUM!

    ReplyDelete