Sunday, 29 April 2012

No vampires here

I haven't done anything to my vege garden for a couple of seasons now, mainly because I lost enthusiasm when a lot of my plantings failed.  But after observing my garden for a couple of seasons, I realise that I will never be able to grow some types of vegetables simply because there isn't enough sunlight on the garden beds and that while our front garden gets nearly a full day of sunlight, we're on a fairly busy road so I don't want to grow food that we are going to eat in that garden.


This time round, I've kept it simple planting some parsley, gai lan, spinach, and lettuce and next week I'll plant some coriander, silver beet and bok choy, these are all veges and herbs that I use fairly frequently.  I hope there is still enough warm weather for the lettuce to grow on so I can pick some salad leaves.

I spent a couple of hours working on the garden, there weren't too many weeds and it didn't take long before everything was fairly tidy.  This little fellow  (lizard not snake) wasn't disturbed by my working nearby, he was enjoying the sun, hopefully he will help eat the snails that are around.  If you click on the photo you can see his legs at the back and part of his front legs as well.


My Farmer's Wife block that I started yesterday was  #22 Corn and Beans which was quite appropriate as I'd been working in the vege garden.  I had problems making sure everything lined up on this block, so decided to finish it this morning, after a good nights sleep, I could see where the problem was and finished off the block.


6 comments:

  1. must have been the lovely weather that drew us out, I too planted veg's, silverbeet and leeks, might get some beans and coriander next week, I like the green and yellow strip in your corn & beans block

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that farmer's wife block. What kind of snake? Which part of Australia do you live in?
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so ambitious to garden Pip, I am way too lazy outside and should try and do better :-)
    The corn and beans block is adorable, you're really on a roll.
    Happy Sunday
    *hugs*
    Tazzie
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely blue tongue! I hope your plantings go well. Sometimes you need to take stock and just watch the garden. It usually takes me at least a year of living anywhere before I feel like I know the garden well enough to begin planting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So industrious... reminds me that I need to work on my garden bed...

    Cool lizard... and a great photo of it too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whew! I flipped out for you when I saw the photo...thankfully read the part about it being a lizard. Reptiles kind of freak me out but at least it's not a snake. LOL
    Beautiful corn & beans block, Pip.

    Are you posting them on flickr and the yahoo group? I find I'm having a hard time keeping up with where to post all the photos these days

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I'll try and reply in a timely manner, usually by email, if you are a no-reply commenter then I will reply directly to your comment which means you will have to come back to see it :)