Tuesday, 3 April 2012

I didn't always enjoy sewing ...

as my school reports from 1969 and 1970 (aged 11 and 12)  show,


for my first year (1969) in Clothing (also known as sewing) I received a 4 for attainment and B for effort, with the comment:  Progress is slow.  I think I made a pillowslip for my project that year.


My marks for the first half of 1970 were, a 3 minus for attainment and B for effort with the comment:  Project 32%.  Improvement needed.  Sadly, the second half of the year showed no improvement whatsoever, a 4 for attainment and B for effort, the comment was - If Phillipa applied herself she could do better.  The project for this year was a choice between a gathered skirt or an A-line skirt, I chose to make a gathered skirt, in hindsight I should have made the A-line skirt as it would have been a more flattering choice.  I think the skirt was a striped cotton, but I can't remember ever wearing it.


According to the notes on the report, the Attainment column indicated the academic standing in comparison with other New Zealand children, while the Effort column shows the assessment of work habits.  For example a 1A was an excellent rating, and a 5C was poor.  However, a 4A or 5A would be very creditable, as it indicates that although the child finds the subject difficult, the effort to improve is first class.  A 2C would indicate good ability but poor effort and could warrant censure.

So my academic rating for Clothing ranged from Very Fair (40% - 49%)  to Fair (25%-39%) and my effort rating was Satisfactory.  I think it's fair to say that I have improved somewhat since then :)

8 comments:

  1. PIp if it is any consolation my Pip (age 15) would have similar comments too. I am hoping she improves with time. Personally I found school sewing to be mind numbing, tedious and useless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PIp if it is any consolation my Pip (age 15) would have similar comments too. I am hoping she improves with time. Personally I found school sewing to be mind numbing, tedious and useless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can relate to this Pip.....I can remember learning how to draft patterns...do endless samples of French and other seams and make some really dreadful clothes....I think my undoing was a pin whale (?) cord pinafore.....in a paisley print ....after failing miserably to complete the garment in the time allocated it was "suggested" that I forgo attending any further sewing classes and take typing lessons instead...typing was good and I use it in my job which pays for my stitching habit.....so it turned out to be a win-win situation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder what your teacher would think of you now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This has given me such a good laugh.... thanks for sharing your youth! If only Mis So and So could see you now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm, yes I have always been dislexic in the sewing area - something about putting two right sides together then turning inside out and I can never work out which way to lay a pattern out...or how much material will be needed...
    But I excelled at typing and use it everyday at work - people comment on my fast speed using an old electric typewriter for envelopes etc.

    I love reading old report cards - we had ours out a while back and my girls had a great giggle about their father's!


    Cheers - Joolz

    ReplyDelete
  7. So hilarious!!!! Good to see your cooking skills were comparable!! I think I did equally as well in Needlework as I never completed a project............clearly we work for perfection rather than rushing it through?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vert interesting! I didn't enjoy sewing at School but really enjoy it now.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I'll try and reply in a timely manner, usually by email, if you are a no-reply commenter then I will reply directly to your comment which means you will have to come back to see it :)