Wednesday, 30 November 2011

It's no secret

that I love to cook (and eat), I was doing a bit of aimless Googling a few days ago and came across a couple of recipes for Anzac biscuits (click on the link under the photo).  What was intriguing was that one of the recipes used oil instead of butter, and as I'm always on the lookout for recipes that don't use saturated fats, I thought it only right that I should try them out, in fact this is the third time I've made them, although today was just a half recipe.



Don't forget that this is a New Zealand recipe so the tablespoon measurement is 15ml not the 20ml which is usual in Australian recipes.


Some observations I made during my baking:
  • the oil and golden syrup mixture only needs to be warmed gently (remember you will be adding water to it later on in the recipe)
  • for the half batch I halved all the amounts with the exception of the flour where I used 70g
  • these biscuits seem to brown quickly, I dropped the temperature by 5 degrees and cooked them for a total of 15 minutes, so keep an eye on them.
These biscuits will still have the same calorie count as biscuits made with butter (I have no idea what the calorie count is) but they would be very low in saturated fat, remember moderation in all things.


4 comments:

  1. making biscuits is on my "to do " list tomorrow, I shall try these for sure.. Love Anzacs, and love low cholesterol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, those cookies look mighty tasty....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pip, those biscuits look yammy. I always use oil instead of butter, sunflower seed oil or cocos nut oil. For every 100 gr. of butter you use 6 spoons of oil. Very easy.
    It is nice to take one day of from sewing and play around in the kitchen.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my. You've been busy. Your photo is divine. It's making me want cookies for breakfast! =)
    Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I'll try and reply in a timely manner, usually by email, if you are a no-reply commenter then I will reply directly to your comment which means you will have to come back to see it :)