Wednesday, 12 October 2011

Practise, practise and practise

These two blocks were about 20 minutes of FMQ practise doodling.  At the beginning there were some very looong stitches, but by the end the stitch length was quite uniform, (the goal is to have most of your stitches about 1/8" or eight stitches per inch) although I don't intend to measure mine :)


I find spirals fairly easy to to FMQ (maybe because they are the main shape that I doodle) although they all tend to go the one way, I suppose I should be thinking about a more structured form of practise and work my way through various shapes so I get more proficient.  I have found a few offcuts of batting which I can use for practise and I have plenty of calico from old curtain lining so that will be my fabric.

9 comments:

  1. Oh wow! How cool is that! I love your doodles... hard to believe you're "practicing" tho... looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks good, maybe that is the secret to more successful quilting- lots of practise- would love to be able to move beyond the basics..

    ReplyDelete
  3. This doesnt look like practise to me. I dont FMQ at all so your Doodles look absolutely amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are certainly making great headway.I especially like the Jacobean style flower/ paisley shape on the left example.I have read that 15 minutes a day for 2-3 weeks, is the way to perfect the technique.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Practice makes perfect they say....and I think your practice pieces look great Pip. I have some practice "sandwiches" made up and have a play every now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, it looks fantastic. I keep meaning to do practice at FMQ but never quite seem to getting around to actually doing it - I can see now that it's well worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your practice piece looks perfect to me. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks terrific, I so wish I could doodle, but mine always looks like a mess. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How lovely! I've been putting off trying FMQ (procrastination?) but you are another quilter I follow that has recently tried this and succeeded so I think I may 'wet my feet' soon.
    Cheers,
    Robyn

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I'll try and reply in a timely manner, usually by email, if you are a no-reply commenter then I will reply directly to your comment which means you will have to come back to see it :)