Wednesday, 28 September 2011

Fabric choices

I've made up a swatch card of my fabric choices for the Farmers Wife Sampler Quilt (FWSQ).  When I went to Inspired Stitches back in July I was lucky enough to win a bundle of fabric which my friend Sheila suggested would be good to use as a basis for the quilt.  It took me quite a while to find out the name of the fabric line  - A Breath of Avignon by American Jane, designed by Sandy Klop, it came out last year, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of it around but I managed to find some more and have also added some fabric from another line by American Jane - Le Petit Poulet, to give me some more options.


There is also a piece of a Judie Rothermel designed fabric as well because I need a dark, sludgy colour in there for a bit of contrast. I may even use some dark brown or black in the mix as well, and I just noticed today that there is a little bit of pink in a couple of the fabrics which opens up another possibility.  Having the fabrics glued to a card like this should make it a little bit easier when I want to look for more fabric.

8 comments:

  1. What a great idea choosing fabric is the hardest part of making a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice stash.
    Not sure about sludgy in practice but agree with you in theory. I am beginning to warm to Dark Chocolate Brown.
    Good luck in finding the "right" one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good idea. I love your choices. I'm thinking of using 30s reproduction fabrics for my FW quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Working with fabric swatches when you go fabric hunting is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice choices. I especially love the reds and greens. I get some wonderful ideas watching your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love this range! I still have some in my stash. Can't wait to see your quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a great idea to have and use when deciding...may have to do the same as I get stuck with what to use for mine...
    Hugs Dawn x x

    ReplyDelete
  8. that is looking good Pip, I think some brown would go nicely - just a little bit and pink is certainly a possability. Love your 'rising sun' block too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I'll try and reply in a timely manner, usually by email, if you are a no-reply commenter then I will reply directly to your comment which means you will have to come back to see it :)