Tuesday, 31 May 2011

A challenge and a surprise

I’ve started using my Easter indulgence thanks to a book challenge that I read about hereJenny of Elefantz is, like me a self-taught quilter and stitcher and she thought it would be a good challenge to work through the Dolly quilts in Sarah Fielke's new book -  Quilting from little things

The first Dolly quilt is called Diamond Chips and will be about 12” square, I’m not going to make mine into a little quilt but rather, will use each finished “quilt” as a block for a sampler quilt which will be done by the quilt as you go method.  I still have to make three more of these blocks and join them up before I need to think about the quilting.

IMG_5712

Some lovely fabric arrived in the mail today, all the way from South Africa – a thankyou for some magazines I sent to Susan a little while ago.  The blue fabric on the LHS is actually double-sided, the green next to it is the reverse side.  Rather than putting it away with my stash I’ve left it out so I can look at it and get some inspiration for a future creation, thanks so much Susan, they are really lovely and unusual fabrics.

IMG_5711

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great challenge, Pip! I'll be watching your progress with interest :)
    Lovely fabrics!
    lv,
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you like the fabrics. The first is a local fabric and the others are from Windhoek in Namibia, bought it when we visited daughter who was working there for a while. They talk about "shiteng" its 2 metre pieces of fabric that gets wrapped around lower body to say that the woman is taken. Also used as sling bags. Quite interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get so inspired by all the beautiful quilt blocks I see you making! Beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great challenge!! Love your African fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a nice job on that block ~ and I really love the African fabric! Have fun

    ReplyDelete
  6. The African fabric is wonderful. I wonder if any of the the motifs could be used as broderie perse? (just a thought).

    ReplyDelete
  7. My daughter bought some fabric in this style when she was in South Africa. Obama had recently been elected and they were so pleased to have a black president, they had a fabric of Obama. She made it into cushions and put them in her canal boat, on the River Thames. I don't suppose the people who made the fabric imagined it would end up there !

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I'll try and reply in a timely manner, usually by email, if you are a no-reply commenter then I will reply directly to your comment which means you will have to come back to see it :)