Monday, 4 April 2011

Sunday night supper

Time to get the soup recipes out, now that the days are getting cooler.  This is one of our favourites, as there are only the two of us, I  halve the recipe and only use one chicken breast, there is plenty for a generous serve each and leftovers for lunch as well.

Chicken, Chickpea and Dumpling Soup

  • 3 tbsp olive oil              6 bacon rashers sliced
  • 2 onions chopped         2 leeks sliced
  • 4 carrots sliced             3 garlic cloves sliced
  • 4 sticks celery sliced     2 x 400g cans chickpeas
  • 2.5 litre chicken or vegetable stock
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 4 skinless chicken breasts

Heat oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add bacon, onions, leeks, garlic, carrots and celery and cook, stirring, for about 7 minutes, or until starting to soften (without colouring too much. Add chickpeas, stock and bay leaves and bring to boil: simmer for 20 minutes. Skim off any scum. Meanwhile, roughly slice chicken breasts into bite-size pieces and add to soup. Return to the boil and simmer gently for 20 minutes. Make the dumplings while the chicken is cooking.

Dumplings:

  • 350g plain flour 
  • 3 tsp baking powder
  • 1 ½ tsp salt
  • 100g grated cheddar cheese
  • 4 tbsp chopped parsley
  • 1 large egg, beaten
  • 150ml milk

Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Stir in grated cheese and parsley. Add egg and enough milk to make a soft (but not sticky) dough. Roll the dough into 16 walnut-size dumplings.

Drop the dumplings into soup, cover with a lid and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until dumplings have puffed up.

Serves 8

IMG_5432-1

This recipe was originally from The Australian by David Herbert

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe, I made soup last night for tea as well! I didn't have any bread rolls in the freezer so even made some damper rolls. There's something about the cooler weather that gets me in the mood for cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pip, Sounds & looks totally delish!! I had soup the other day, didn't realise how long it was since we'd had some. I often put the dumplings in stew - YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the recipe, it's one I'll have to try-I've had dumplings in a stew but not in a soup before. The weather is cooling down here only supposed to be 15 degrees today- a grey damp day just right for hot soup. I liked the buzzy bees in your last post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your photo is beautiful, Pip! It reminds me that I haven't made Chicken & Dumpling soup in quite a while. It looks like we'll have another cool week---might be just the meal for us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh thanks for sharing this Pip! I am having a "soup" week, so I will definately try this out!
    lv,
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I'm trying that for sure. It looks and sounds delicious. It's quite chilly here in Melbourne!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmmm this looks a lovely soup, I will give it a try. I have made a few lovely batches of vegie soup and this year it tastes just like Mum used to make (has only taken me 53years to get it right!!). I think the secret has been instead of using a hock or bacon bones our butcher had lamb knecks and I tried one and it was a great success.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I'll try and reply in a timely manner, usually by email, if you are a no-reply commenter then I will reply directly to your comment which means you will have to come back to see it :)