Saturday, 30 April 2011

Playing with stitches

Late last year I spent ages trawling the internet looking at the quilting on Dear Janes. Once I saw this one on the blog: Susan's Texas Quilting Adventures (click on “Jane through the Centuries” and the link will take you to a slideshow of the quilt) I knew that a serpentine stitch on the sashing was the way to go, except the only serpentine type stitches on my machine were the numbered ones (in the photo below)

IMG_5586-1

and while I liked them they weren’t quite what I was looking for, although both 19 and 211 were the front-runners until someone on the Yahoo Horizon group posted instructions on how to programme the arrowed serpentine stitch into the Horizon and after my false start with the straight stitching (I needed to see what the straight stitching looked like – it looked very wrong) I am happy with the serpentine stitch.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you were able to find a stitch you're happy with. I must checkout that blog book link, what a great keepsake. How beautiful to have a koala in your garden, it's a lovely photos. Can you tell I haven't read any blogs for about a week!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such an internet sleuth. I like this idea of stitching and labelling a sample of machine stitches. I should do this with my new QE, I am hoping the lessons will explain a little more about the quilting stitches.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I'll try and reply in a timely manner, usually by email, if you are a no-reply commenter then I will reply directly to your comment which means you will have to come back to see it :)