Tuesday, 1 March 2011

We've been eating this lately

I've been making my version of Kedgeree quite often lately,  it is fairly quick to make and if I don't muck about we can be sitting down and eating it in 30 minutes.  We usually have all the garnishes and have quite a bit of the cucumber and carrot which makes it a more balanced meal.



  • 2 tbsp olive oil 
  • 1 tbsp butter
  •  1 onion, chopped finely
  • 1 - 2 tsps curry paste* or curry powder (1-2 tsp)
  • 1 garlic clove, finely grated (or crushed)
  • 1 piece of ginger, about the size of your thumb, finely grated
  • 1 1/2 cups Basmati rice or long grain rice
  • 2 heaped tbsp red lentils**
  • 3 cups water (or stock if you wish)
  • 200g  hot smoked salmon, skin taken off and flaked
  • 1/2 - 1 cup peas (I use frozen, and microwave for about 3 minutes on medium)
Heat olive oil and butter in a pan over gentle heat, add onion and cook gently for 5-10 minutes, stir in the curry paste (or powder) garlic and ginger, cook for about 2 minutes.  Add rice and lentils and stir to coat with the onion mixture.  Add the water, stir again, put the lid on and bring to the boil, then turn down and cook on very low heat for 15-20 minutes.  Take pan off the heat, sprinkle peas and smoked fish over and stir gently to mix.

Garnishes:

  • Hard boiled eggs - quartered
  • Sliced cucumber
  • Coriander, finely chopped (you could use parsley instead)
  • Red chilli, finely sliced
  • Carrot - grated
  • Lime or lemon wedges to squeeze over
* I use a Rogan Josh curry paste because that is what I had, when I use curry powder I also add ground cumin and ground coriander (about a 1/2 tsp of each)
** The lentils aren't essential so you can leave them out, but reduce the water to 2 1/2 cups

Another version of a kedgeree recipe is here or you could try Nigella's version instead.

3 comments:

  1. I love to see what you guys are eating! I really hate thinking about food full stop so I find posts such as this really inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pip. Yes, the blog hop was fun!!! I have always wanted to make kedgeree but never seemed to get around to it. Your version sounds yummy. I have enjoyed reading your blog very much. :)
    I see you are making the Dear Jane Quilt, there are some of the ladies on the forum doing this, I think there is a separate thread for it. Bye for now, Sandy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Sis

    My favourite kedgeree recipe is this one http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/fish-recipes/kedgeree

    I have always been a bit skeptical but when I tried this I was converted. I have done it incomplete skipping a few ingredients and it is still OK but the complete recipe is really nice and easy. I don't poach the fish and I cook the rice fully but use all the ingredients when I have them. I use smoked kingfish.

    Ed

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I'll try and reply in a timely manner, usually by email, if you are a no-reply commenter then I will reply directly to your comment which means you will have to come back to see it :)