Wednesday, 23 March 2011

Some more Civil War blocks

I made these two blocks on Sunday as part of my catch-up with this BOW.  This one (below) London Square was a snap, paper foundation pieced, my biggest problem was selecting fabrics, but I think these work quite well.
IMG_5392
This Louisiana block (below) was hand pieced because my usual method of paper foundation piecing, while very accurate quite often leaves you with a lot of fabric in the middle.  By hand piecing I was able to achieve a nice flat centre.  I followed the very excellent Hand piecing with Crispy tutorials (plenty of detailed photos) , Chris also has some excellent tutorials on applique in her blog: Crispy Quilts.
IMG_5391
I haven’t made any further progress on Seven Sisters, she is a very lonely block at the moment, with one sister appliqued and waiting for the rest of her sisters :)

3 comments:

  1. I have these two patterns sitting on my sewing room table at the moment.....on the agenda for the weekend....!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blocks are looking great- I like your choice of fabric. It is very precise sewing with all of those triangles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are BOTH really beautiful blocks Pip!
    You are making great progress.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I'll try and reply in a timely manner, usually by email, if you are a no-reply commenter then I will reply directly to your comment which means you will have to come back to see it :)