Sunday, 14 November 2010

Last weekend

the Craft and Quilt Fair came to Adelaide, this year I decided that I would go for two days as last year I was quite tired after spending the day there, and  I thought if I spaced it out I would be able to enjoy it more.  I spent a long time on both days looking at the Festival of Quilts display that the Quilters Guild of South Australia held, it is their major exhibition of the year.  I was quite restrained this year, although there didn’t seem to be the same amount of exhibitors and the workshops and classes weren’t as varied as last time.

Unfortunately while photos were allowed to be taken they were not allowed to be published, but you can see the winners here (just click on each category to see photos of the quilts, then click on the photo for an larger version).  There was a lovely Dear Jane quilt  (see here) which I spent a long time looking at and taking pictures of for future reference, it took the maker 11 years to complete.

IMG_4742

I6 - Viewers Choice

I machine pieced 4 squares of fabric and then cut out the shape to applique on to the background fabric, then appliqued the melons in place, I enjoyed making this one.

IMG_4743

H9 – Snowflake Melt

This one was paper foundation pieced then those pesky diamonds were appliqued in place, I enjoyed making this one until it came to the diamonds.

7 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, both blocks are beautiful! Snowflake Melt is exquisite. WOW. I love going to quilt shows, they are so inspiring. I went to a quilt shop in Easthampton, MA today, and got very inspired looking at the pallet of fabric inside. Great job once again...after looking at the Dear Jane that won a prize, I again, totally understand what drives people to make this...it is quite an accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your 2 blocks are great..you're very clever! I followed your link to the winners of the quilt show and my favourite was under the Professional/Pictorial - Is one egg enough? Quite amazing work. Thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exquisite blocks, Pip. I realize the applique is not your favorite part, but you are quite talented at it!! Fantastic links, thanks so much for sharing the info and photos of the quilt show.
    All my best,
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blocks. As always, they're just beautifully done. I also hate the fussy little appliques. (I'm no good at it at all.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you are good at the applique too. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful blocks ! (Those tiny diamonds look like a bear, though.) You are closing in on it ! Also, thanks for the link to the fantastic quilt show.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the link to see the winners Pip:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I'll try and reply in a timely manner, usually by email, if you are a no-reply commenter then I will reply directly to your comment which means you will have to come back to see it :)