Friday, 24 September 2010

Triangle tips

When I started my Dear Jane quilt, I decided that I wouldn’t leave the triangles till last, so each week I made the Triangle of the Week (which comes out in the Dear Jane mailing list or can be found here) and then once I was more confident I made two or three a week. 

I also printed off the tips on the Dear Jane website, Tilde who wrote the triangle tips list has written some directions for all of the triangles, I found them to be very, very  useful.  The other place that I found useful  is the That Quilt blog which has many photos and written instructions for nearly all the triangles and blocks.

I foundation paper pieced the majority of my triangles, I even foundation pieced some of the diamonds just to avoid having to applique them, as applique is not my favourite technique.

IMG_4531these are the easiest triangles in the quilt :)

I usually started my triangle by having a good look at the block diagram and picture, and then tried to work out how I would do it first, then I looked at Tilde’s triangle tips to see if I was on the right track.  As well as numbering each piece, (number the diagram exactly the same as your pattern pieces, so that you have something to refer to when you start putting it together), I even coloured in some of the triangles to work out the order in which I would construct them. Once I have decided how I’m going to construct the triangle I print off the block, or templates or foundation paper pattern and start.  

If I’m foundation piecing, I like to have all my fabric cut to the approximate size that I will be needing, I found the following sizes to be the most useful;

  • squares (2”, 3” and 3 1/2”),
  • triangles (or rough triangle shapes)
  • 1 1/4” and 1 1/2 '” strips and 2” strips

As per the triangle tips I have the foundation paper pattern all cut and laid out in order from the top to bottom, then I sew each section and put it back in position, (it makes it less confusing and you can see where you are up to) before finally sewing the triangle together.

IMG_4530 This was a test triangle I made before I started my quilt 

It is also helpful to extend the sides of the triangle (so you have larger pieces of fabric) and then trim back once the triangle is completed.  Some triangles may need a mixture of hand piecing, applique and foundation piecing, but it really depends on what you prefer.

I agree with Tilde, the triangles are not too horrible to do, some of the blocks are much more difficult, it is just a matter of taking your time and thinking it through. 

2 comments:

  1. I agree that the triangles aren't that difficult - just different. I love your blue triangles, and I can't wait to see your whole quilt top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the links and tips regarding triangle blocks!
    IThis information will be very helpful when I get brave enough to start them.
    Your blue triangles look amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I'll try and reply in a timely manner, usually by email, if you are a no-reply commenter then I will reply directly to your comment which means you will have to come back to see it :)