Sunday, 19 September 2010

Block Blitz

With the Mister going away on a riding trip for the weekend, I had made plans for a super sewing weekend.   Luckily I checked my supply of background fabric as I was nearly out, so after going to Central Market on Friday morning, we made a quick side trip so I could restock (of course I couldn’t resist a few small bits of blue fabric as well).  I completed nine blocks and prepped three more ready to sew or applique next week.
IMG_4521
F1, D11, E6
IMG_4522
G11, H4, D10
IMG_4523
D12, J8, I9
I’m feeling quite knackered so I’m having Monday off sewing, to give my eyes, fingers and shoulders a rest.  I did something different on Saturday where I set up the ironing board next to my sewing table and lowered it to the same height, so I could piece and then press without getting up.  With hindsight I won’t be doing it again even though it may have been quicker, I think it was more tiring for me, as I usually sew a seam (or several seams), get up, go to the ironing board, press the seam (or seams), then sit down again.  Having to get up frequently gives me the chance to stretch and use other muscles plus my eyes can look at something different as well.

11 comments:

  1. I can't believe you completed so many blocks! Way to go! I keep my ironing board away from my sewing machine just for the very reason you mentioned. If I sit and chain piece for very long, I get terribly stiff and sore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy cow. That must be a new record in the land of Dear Jane. Good going !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool blitz! I quite often do the sit and sew and iron thing. I quite like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pip ~ that is amazing! I always pick a favorite out of the group, but I love them all! WOW ~ super job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant Blitz! I love all of these...great work......I sometimes set the ironing board up next to the machine but find I prefer to get up and down othewise these old muscles and bones get way too stressed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great progress and lovely blocks :). I need the iron away from my sewing as well as I think the getting up and down keeps the blood moving and the brain clear!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pip amazing progress and the blocks are all beautiful. It's good when DH goes away for 2 or 3 days (not more) and you have all the time for your sewing - wow I love that. But it is better to stand up in between to do the ironing and some stretches.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations, Pip on so many lovely block completions!! They all look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations Pip!
    What a huge accomplishment getting all those blocks finished!
    Each and every one of them is beautiful! Can't wait to see your finished quilt - it's going to be AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, 9 blocks! It makes me wish my own DH would disappear for a little bit and allow me my own little block blitz. What a great accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete