Sunday, 8 August 2010

Cheese please

This morning I took my little cheeses out of their baskets and put them in a brine solution.  I decided to experiment and took two out at 30 minutes, another two after one hour, and the last two one and a half hours later.

IMG_4332

I then had to let them drain which was good because then I could think about what I would do with them (apart from eating them of course).  I decided that I would marinate three (one from each brining) of them in oil, fresh thyme and dried chilli flakes.  The other three I have put in an airtight container and we have to eat them up within 5 days which I don’t think will be much of a problem.

IMG_4333 

If the cheese is completely immersed in the oil then it should last up to six months refrigerated.  I wonder how long I can wait.  I have already tried a few bits while cutting it up to put in the jars, it tasted nice, still softish, and salty of course.

IMG_4340

I’m going to make some more of this style of cheese before venturing into other styles.  For the South Australians that read this, I did the Home Cheese making course run by the WEA here (just scroll down) I believe that they will run a few more courses before the end of the year.  The course is held on Saturday morning at Loreto College, starting at 0930 and finishing at 1300 (or thereabouts), you do have to provide a few things:

  • 4ltr non-homogenised organic, milk,
  • cake rack, (25cm x 25cm square would be big enough)
  • pot that can hold 6l,
  • an esky (with a lid) that can hold 6l (the cultured milk is actually incubated in the esky, so you need to either have a new one or make sure yours is really clean)
  • a long sharp knife
  • a perforated spoon (a long one)
  • a dairy thermometer (I got mine from here but they are readily available at kitchen shops, the sort that is used for measuring the temperature of milk when you make cappuccino is ideal)

I also took a tea towel and hand towel with me as well, other things that would have been handy were an apron, a funnel, a small sieve and a tray that you could sit your cake rack in (to catch the drips and make cleaning up easier).  You also need to arrive early to allow time to find some parking as being Saturday morning there was school sports going on and there were few parks to be had.

7 comments:

  1. Yum! The bottled fetta looks very classy - something you'd buy from an organic cheese stall somewhere? This is a great skill to learn and I'm sure you'll have lots of fun making different kinds of cheeses in the future.
    Me, I need to get cheese out of my life for good so no more tempting pics please! :)

    Cheers - Joolz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, cheese making. It looks great! Something to put on my 'to do' list for one day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks just delicious - I love cheese! The only kind I know how to make, though, is the Indian fresh cheese, panir.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all that info. Fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9/8/10 01:05

    That looks so good! I'll have to look into classes this Fall, as I would love to know how to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pip! Your cheeses look amazing!! If you keep this up, all your followers will become cheesemakers.

    Thanks so much for sharing =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks fantastic! You'll be hooked on cheese making soon. It's great fun and very rewarding.

    Haloumi is another very easy and rewarding cheese to make.

    I've got 2 batches of camembert maturing at the moment. Can't wait to taste them. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I'll try and reply in a timely manner, usually by email, if you are a no-reply commenter then I will reply directly to your comment which means you will have to come back to see it :)