Thursday, 1 July 2010

Rhubarb

I took a quick tour round my garden to see how everything had coped after the huge amount of rain (57mm) that we had a couple of days ago.  Some plants looked a bit bedraggled but in general everything looked quite good for this time of year.

IMG_4170

I noticed that the rhubarb was thriving so I thought I would pull a few stalks from my two plants.  About two years ago I planted one plant which didn’t really thrive despite my loving care.  Then in November of last year I went to an open garden in our local area and was talking to the garden owner who had her rhubarb planted in pots, so I decided that I would try my rhubarb in a pot.  The rhubarb really took off so was obviously happy in a pot, so I bought another crown which is now about the same size as the first one.   I’m thinking about getting another two plants which should then be enough to give us a good supply of rhubarb.

2 comments:

  1. Oh that rain! Gus & I made the trip to Adelaide in two Land Rover Defenders, leaving here at 4pm and didn't get to Adel until 8.30ish. A very hairy trip, passing lots of big semi trailers and B-doubles, blowing us all over the road! It rained non-stop all the way and at times we were reduced to 70kph. We left Adel Tuesday arvo at 2.30pm and had a similar trip home (but in one old, ricketty Defender, this time). Our tanks runneth over (wish I could catch the overflow!) and everything is soggy.

    Rhubarb and Apple crumble on the menu?

    Cheers - Joolz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such healthy looking and beautifully pink stems. My first choice would be rhubarb crumble too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I'll try and reply in a timely manner, usually by email, if you are a no-reply commenter then I will reply directly to your comment which means you will have to come back to see it :)