Saturday, 26 June 2010

Meringues

This is the recipe I usually make meringues with, I make it with my old Kenwood electric mixer but you could use a hand-held electric beater.  The mixture looks rather strange to start with and you will probably think that it cannot possibly turn into meringues but it always seems to work.

  • 2 egg whites
  • 1 1/2 cups caster sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp white vinegar
  • 1/4 cup boiling water

Measure the ingredients into the mixer bowl in the order given, and beat at high speed until a smooth, stiff meringue forms.  Put baking paper on two oven trays (or you could use a non-stick teflon liner).  Put the mixture into a forcer bag with a star nozzle, or a heavy plastic bag with the corner cut out, or you can just use two teaspoons.  Shape the mixture into small meringues, leaving some space for expansion during cooking, you can usually get about 75 small meringues from the mixture.

Bake at 130-140C (225-275F) for an hour, or until meringues are quite dry.  To test, remove and cool a meringue.  It is cooked when it is dry right through when broken.  As soon as they are cool, store the meringues in airtight jars or canisters.

IMG_4088

I suspect my oven was a bit too hot today as the meringues aren’t usually this pale tan colour.  They still taste good though.  Once they were cool I spread one meringue with some chocolate ganache that I had left over from the crepe cake I made last weekend, then I put some stiffly whipped cream on another meringue and sandwiched them together, then I piled them up and sieved some icing sugar over.

Other times I have roughly broken the meringues and then folded them into whipped cream with some sliced strawberries or raspberries, a sort of an Eton Mess.  Bananas and mangos would probably also be quite nice as well, or even some frozen raspberries, (defrost and mash with some icing sugar, then swirl through the cream)

4 comments:

  1. My kids love meringues, so they are something I make quite often. Quick and easy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pip, I am absolutely impressed with the things you make! You really are a gourmet cook aren't you! This picture made me go 'wow'! DH was sitting beside me and glanced over to see what I was 'wow'ing about, and said 'Hey, those look like profileros' (something we loved having when we lived in France).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pip, if ever I move it will be closer to you !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, stop with the recipes! :)
    They look so good, Pip! I've never tackled meringue or pavlova but I feel one coming on soon! I think your Kenwood is the recipe for success here.

    Cheers - Joolz

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I'll try and reply in a timely manner, usually by email, if you are a no-reply commenter then I will reply directly to your comment which means you will have to come back to see it :)