Friday, 18 June 2010

Crunchy granola

Today I made some granola as a bit of a change from our usual porridge, most likely the Mister will eat most of it, while I will have a small handful as a snack.  I don’t really follow any particular recipe for it, just depends what is in the pantry.

IMG_4009

This time round I used 2 cups of rolled oats, a scoop of wheat germ, and half a teaspoon of cinnamon, mixed together with 1/4 cup of brown sugar, big dessertspoonful of honey and 4 soup spoons of olive oil.  I put it all in a roasting dish which I had lined with a silicone tray liner (you could use baking paper, and re-use it again) then toasted it at 175C fanbake for about 20 minutes, stirring the mixture every 5 minutes or so.

While it was toasting, I roughly chopped some almonds, and mixed them together with slivered almonds and dessicated coconut, I also drizzled a bit more honey over this mixture, then mixed it in with the rolled oat mixture and toasted for about 10 minutes more, stirring a couple of times.  Once I had taken the granola from the oven and it was cooling, I added some chopped dried apricots, craisins and sultanas.  I like to chop the dried fruit up fairly fine, as it means you don’t need to use very much (about two tablespoons or so) and it mixes through better.

Other ingredients that I have added are: oat bran, wheat bran, sesame seeds (not too much) dried coconut pieces, flaked almonds, dried apples, peaches or pears.  Sometimes I have squeezed in some orange juice when I mixed in the brown sugar and honey.  I prefer to eat granola in the warmer weather sprinkled over yoghurt and sliced banana.

6 comments:

  1. That sounds delicious; I'll have to try making some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pip thanks for the granola recipe!
    I will definately make some of this, it sounds heavenly!

    Doreen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't usually like this sort of thing (a bit like birdseed) but reading your recipe this sounds quite delicious. I could be forced to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also love granula. Your recipe sounds tasty, have to try it :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks sooooooo delicious! nom noms!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I'll try and reply in a timely manner, usually by email, if you are a no-reply commenter then I will reply directly to your comment which means you will have to come back to see it :)