Wednesday, 19 May 2010

Wednesday wandering

  IMG_3885

While out on my usual wander I came across some Casuarina trees, (also known as she-oak) I could see that there were some little pine cones on the branches so went across for a closer look, imagine my surprise when I saw the little flowers on the branches as well.  I had seen the little cones before but never seen flowers (and to get a cone you need flowers first).

 IMG_3882

 

Even though the flowers are red they aren’t noticeable from a distance, a bit like the rosellas in the gums, you think that because they are so bright they would be visible but they blend in well. I remember seeing a lot of these trees while walking along Gurney Drive in Penang, Malaysia, they seem to thrive everywhere.

5 comments:

  1. Pip,
    Thank you for this post.
    I NEVER knew that she-oaks had red flowers. Are these a special variety or have I been missing this show every year?
    I will keep my eyes peeled and see if the ones that grow at my place put on half the show that you have photographed.
    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never knew this either and we used to live next-door to some! Ahh.... I guess I was distracted when we lived there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's really beautiful!
    I don't get to see these lovely plants & trees in the U.S.
    Please keep posting pictures - I'm enjoying your walks tremendously!

    Doreen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I echo Aunt 'Reen's sentiments... it is so interesting to see the things that we don't see here in the U.S. I love your photography!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I'll try and reply in a timely manner, usually by email, if you are a no-reply commenter then I will reply directly to your comment which means you will have to come back to see it :)