Wednesday, 21 April 2010

Have you tried these??

IMG_3691

Feijoa (Acca sellowiana)

At one of my jobs there was a big bag of feijoas for people to help themselves to (I did).  I have fond memories of gathering feijoas from my grandmother’s garden,  she had about 5 or so feijoa trees (shrubs??) growing, I can remember biting off the end and eating the insides.  They are a hard to describe fruit, slightly tart, a bit gritty in texture, a bit jelly-like if they are over-ripe and very perfumed (a  sweet, slightly rotten smell) a bit of an acquired taste really.  They can be eaten raw or cooked.

IMG_3697

I think that the feijoa pictured above may be slightly over-ripe, it still tasted just as I remembered them.  I haven’t yet decided what I will do with them, perhaps an apple and feijoa crumble or a feijoa tart with ground almonds.  

4 comments:

  1. my friend's 4 yo son loves them dried - he eats them like you wouldn't believe!
    i have never tried them - not keen on the jelly like texture, but i would eat them cooked - to be honest, anything with a crumble on top is perfect :)
    l
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm off to inspect my fejoa tree !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Feijoa jam is good I think. (have never made it but have seen it) We had these as kids and didn't like them much. I have a small tree now, mainly because I love the shape and colour of the tree, not so much for the fruit. It is too small for fruit yet, maybe when it gets some I will call you for recipe ideas!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like Feijoas. Dad poaches them in a light syrup and pops them into the freezer. A wonderful breakfast treat.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I'll try and reply in a timely manner, usually by email, if you are a no-reply commenter then I will reply directly to your comment which means you will have to come back to see it :)