Friday, 23 April 2010

Forgot the recipe didn’t I

I forgot about the pie recipe, we had the last two pieces this morning and while not as nice as yesterday it was still very edible, on the whole I think I would prefer to eat it on the day it is made, the pastry is much crisper.

Feijoa Pie

Pastry: I made it in the food processor

1 1/4 cups flour          1 tsp baking powder

70 gm butter              1/2 cup milk soured with 1 tsp white vinegar

Put flour, baking powder and chopped butter into food processor, blitz till butter is coarsely chopped, add soured milk gradually, pulsing to blend.  You may not need all the milk.  The mixture should just stick together when pressed.  Tip the mixture out and press into a flattish round, refrigerate for 10 minutes.

Preheat oven to 200C while you prepare the filling:

500-600g feijoas (unpeeled)      1 apple

3/4 cup ground almonds            1/2 cup brown sugar     1 tbsp butter melted

Peel feijoas and chop into a bowl (alternatively, cut in half and scoop flesh out with a teaspoon, chop roughly), peel apple and chop roughly, add brown sugar, almonds and melted butter, stir everything together.Roll out pastry to a largish circle, put onto a baking tray (on baking paper or a teflon liner), pile feijoa mixture into centre of circle and lift up edges of pastry around the mixture, leave the middle exposed.

  Bake for 25-30 minutes until the pastry is golden brown and the filling isn’t wobbly anymore, it took about 40 minutes in my oven.

This recipe is from Alison’s Kitchen Volume 2 by Alison Holst

3 comments:

  1. I use one of Alison Holst's book often - her dollars and cents cook book edited by her daughter back in to early to mid 80s. A reliable "base start" for so much cooking.

    Your tart looks very scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i just now saw your post on feijoas, and it brought back great memories for me. growing up we had a feijoa tree (i had no idea what they were called until just now!) me and two friends used to cut them open on our corrugated iron fence (i know, how incredibly un hygenic and un safe that was, luckily we still have all our fingers lol:) were going to my parents place tomorrow, ill definately see if theres any feijoas on the tree. if so ill definately make a feijoa and apple tart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy cow, I never heard of a feijoa. You must get them from South America? We get lots of imported fruit, but I've never seen those! That pie looks utterly delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I'll try and reply in a timely manner, usually by email, if you are a no-reply commenter then I will reply directly to your comment which means you will have to come back to see it :)